can your parents?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Can your parents register your name as Lord John Robinson?

Lord being the first name :wink: :)

Robinson being the surname

I think not because I have never come across someone as such.

Don't know about parents, but the rules for deed poll are readily available:

http://www.ukdps.co.uk/AreThereAnyRestr ... Names.html

1. Name restrictions
We will not accept an application for a name that:
may result in others believing you have a conferred or inherited honour, title, rank or academic award, for example, a change of first name to Sir, Lord, Laird, Lady, Prince, Princess, Viscount, Baron, Baroness, General, Captain, Professor or Doctor etc.

BugBear

So if an Asian comes in with his first name Lord, what could they do about it.

I have a suspicion that some Caribbeans have Lord as their first name on reflection.

why would you not be able to register it as a name? you can be called what you like, providing that it doesnt fall foul of the requirements of the link.

I am not sure whether you are thinking in the sense of Lord/God, but I have seen people called Jesus, so it is clearly not a restriction.
Or Lord as in a title, in which case (coming to think about it) I seem to recall somebody doing just that when I worked in Lincolnshire. The bloke was a right t0sser and built turretted walls around his house. He also adopted a monogram on his beat up old rangerover.

Why you would want to is a different matter...

marcros":1yziajzl said:
.. I have seen people called Jesus, so it is clearly not a restriction.

Fairly common in the Catholic parts of Latin America, (c.f. people called Mahomed in Muslim countries).

BugBear

marcros":24ye26fr said:
..but I have seen people called Jesus, so it is clearly not a restriction.
Popular Christian name in Latin America, usually pronounced 'hey-soos'.

devonwoody":24ye26fr said:
I have a suspicion that some Caribbeans have Lord as their first name on reflection.
My teenage sone has a pal at school whose first name is Prince. Surname, Charles. Seriously! This particular lad is a bit of a hustler, buying catering-sized bags of crisps and selling them singly at school for a profit. Because of early morning trips to the 'cash & carry' he's often running a bit late for school, and being a young black lad with a big bag of swag over his shoulder he frequently gets stopped by the local police.

"What's your name then son"
"Prince Charles"
"Don't be funny, you're not in trouble, we just need to know your name..." etc.. etc..

I think he knows (and is known to) most of the local plod by name now, which makes things a bit easier ;)

Hi,

We have a bloke at work who's surname is 6, the number which seems to go aganst the rules.

Pete

In the local nick, the officers use the inmates surnames only. One of the little scrotes didn't like this so changed his surname to the same as his christian name. i.e. David David.
Hasn't worked 'cos the officers still refer to him by his old surname. :lol: :lol:

Bob

Lons":2ikcqokl said:
In the local nick, the officers use the inmates surnames only. One of the little scrotes didn't like this so changed his surname to the same as his christian name. i.e. David David.
Hasn't worked 'cos the officers still refer to him by his old surname. :lol: :lol:
Bob
Darling may have been worth a try :)

bugbear":34gun4pv said:
Don't know about parents, but the rules for deed poll are readily available:

http://www.ukdps.co.uk/AreThereAnyRestr ... Names.html

1. Name restrictions
We will not accept an application for a name that:
may result in others believing you have a conferred or inherited honour, title, rank or academic award, for example, a change of first name to Sir, Lord, Laird, Lady, Prince, Princess, Viscount, Baron, Baroness, General, Captain, Professor or Doctor etc.

BugBear

There are no rules, you may call yourself whatever you want as long as it is not for the purpose of committing crime i.e. fraud. You do not even need to Deed poll for a change to take effect but it does make it easier to get passports etc.

The link above is for a private Ltd company trying to look official and make money from peoples ignorance.

Used to go to school (comprehensive) with a lad whose 1st name was actually Lord. Sri Lankan background. But the kids\teachers just called him by his middle name and surname.

We only found out one day by peeking in the register when the teacher had just come in, opened the register and then stepped out of the class again for a few mins.

Never met let alone known a "Hey-soos" - but you never know!

Dibs

Katie prices daughter is called princess tiaamii so you can register any name that dosnt cause offence
Dave

There was a kid a few years above me in school called Richard Head. His nickname was "Rich" unfortunately.

mark aspin":uho2jfln said:
There was a kid a few years above me in school called Richard Head. His nickname was "Rich" unfortunately.

Parents who name their child with such a forename, already having such a surname - need slapping!

Close friends many years ago decided to name their new son Peter Ian (surname began with S) until I pointed out that they would take the PIS out of him at school :lol:
They were shocked as hadn't considered the initials. Luckily it was before the birth was registered.

Cowboy _Builder":1pxkawf6 said:
My daughter has a friend call Jennifer Taylor ....They didn't think that one through !!!!!

OK, took me a little while to work that one out :oops: :oops:

30 yrs ago I worked with a great guy call Patrick Ennis.

Some parents need shooting!!

Roy

Latest posts

Back