Can you ride tandem?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doorframe

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, as the PG Tips monkey once said..."Can you ride tandem?"

More importantly, can you ride CHEAPish tandem?

'Decent' ones cost a fortune. I'm looking at the budget end of the range. SWIMBO and I are fairly hooked on getting one, as if and when we go out on our solo bikes I'm forever waiting for Her Ladyship, and if I dare to ask her to speed it up a little, it's just the first word of the next argument. Neither of us is as fit as we used to be, and we'd like to spend more time on 2 wheels in the open air, with a view to completing next year's London to Southend Bike Ride. My son did it this year with his mates and is doing various others in the future.

So, has anyone got any opinions for a novice on sub-£600 tandems?

This one (Raleigh Adventurer) is favorite at the moment...

132-15-main-adventurer_tandem_001jpeggg-591.jpg

TIA,

Roy

doorframe":39l7imgy said:
Well, as the PG Tips monkey once said..."Can you ride tandem?"

More importantly, can you ride CHEAPish tandem?

'Decent' ones cost a fortune. I'm looking at the budget end of the range. SWIMBO and I are fairly hooked on getting one, as if and when we go out on our solo bikes I'm forever waiting for Her Ladyship, and if I dare to ask her to speed it up a little, it's just the first word of the next argument. Neither of us is as fit as we used to be, and we'd like to spend more time on 2 wheels in the open air, with a view to completing next year's London to Southend Bike Ride. My son did it this year with his mates and is doing various others in the future.

So, has anyone got any opinions for a novice on sub-£600 tandems?

This one (Raleigh Adventurer) is favorite at the moment...

132-15-main-adventurer_tandem_001jpeggg-591.jpg

TIA,

Roy

Tandems tend to be well looked after, apart from the ones that are truly hammered into the ground. Also (as in your case) they're sometimes bought in the hope that a weaker partner will be able to "enjoy cycling". Sometimes this doesn't work out, resulting in an excellent condition s/h machine.

One way and another, I would strongly consider second hand.

One obvious source is:

http://www.tandem-club.org.uk/_sboard.htm

Which is also a good source of information.

Bugbear (owner and rider with SO of Claude Butler Majestic Twin tandem and custom Longstaff tandem trike)

Back