Can you recommend a USB Wifi dongle?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OscarG

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a naughty laptop whose integral wifi card is playing up, it randomly switches off, despite numerous attempts to update the wifi driver, disabling "allow computer to turn off this device to save power" in device manager it's still horrendously unreliable.

I need a small wifi adapter that can be plugged into a USB slot.

Seen plenty on Amazon but they all seem to have a worryingly high number of people complaining of the exact reliability issues I'm trying to solve.

Anyone got any recommendations?

Rather than recommend a specific one, which, where wifi is concerned, would be pointless as what works well for one can just as easily not work for another, I would say narrow your search down to major brand names.

A search on Amazon throws up lots made by companies I have never heard of.

Netgear is always my preference. I would read all the Netgear reviews pertinent to my setup and choose what I thought was the best one.

Does your wlan card play up on other routers? i.e. Away from your home? Or hotspot from your phone?

I have a couple from the low cost ebay sellers and they work well enough.One of them is attached to the computer in the shed and keeps the chosen radio station streaming nicely.Just over a pound delivered so if they hadn't worked,I wouldn't have lost a lot.

Why not just open it up - there's usually plenty of videos on youtube for specific models, also look up the spec on the manufacturers website to see what card is in there.

With that info - you'll easily find a better card on eBay that shouldn't have any issues.

I did that and now have a dual band card in my laptop - must have been < £10 and was a doddle to fit.

HIH

Dibs

Hmmmm, difficult to know what to recommend to you on this.

- By all means go the USB route, something like this will be find for general use around the house.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Archer-T2U-Nan ... A419153031

- Be aware that (as you've found on some of your searches) USB power management can play havoc with wifi cards as it will turn them off. The good news is that if you run into such issues, plenty of people have walked that path before so there's lots of guidance on the net.

- Your other option (as Dibs-h suggested) is to replace the card. Depending on what model your laptop is, the wifi card may well be removable and it's as simple as undoing a panel on the bottom of the laptop, clipping the old card out, and the new card in. This is assuming of course that the root of your problems is the physical card and not a motherboard issue/operating system issue etc.

Both options are valid, I couldn't say there was a better or worse route to take if I'm honest.

I had this problem on my Lenovo Yoga Pro 370 - the wifi would suddenly stop working and then often required a reboot to get it going again. I did a search and found it was a problem many had reported with the laptop.

I wanted a simple solution and ended up buying https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1 which worked without any problem and faster than the built in wireless card. It is very small but I am happy with it as it solved my problem

Oscar, how mobile is your laptop?
Do you use just in the house or do you take it away with you?

My wifes laptop lost its wi fi card completely, and we were quoted over 70 quid t have a new card fitted. Luckily its only used in the house and usually from a single spot, so we bought the mains socket plug in repeaters and now its wired to the nearest 13 amp socket along with the battery charging lead.
Pair of those can be had for around 20 quid.

Latest posts

Back