Can you recommend a finish!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alli

Established Member
Reaction score
Hiya,

I am just finishing that other type of wood working i.e. not turning. Yes, alright I can hear the boos and hisses from hear :lol:
It is a tall case clock made out of oak with quite a bit of medullary rays in the wood, I am looking for a finish that is natural in colour and would help make the rays stand out. I have in the past used Polyurethane varnish for pieces that have alot of abuse like a breakfast table, but I don't think this would be suitable for a clock.

I was thinking on the lines of Danish or Tung oil. Do you think this is suitable for a clock? Or is there something better to look at?

I know wire wool is not recommended when sanding between coats, I have been looking at the pads that look like Scourers, Do any of you have any experience with using these and are these any good?

Any help or comments would be appreciated.

Cheers
David

Thanks Phil, It was after reading on here about the pitfalls of using wirewool on oak that I have stop using it. I'd been lucky up to date, though I think this was due to using polyurethane which is quite a thick barrier between the oak!

Hi Alli

A favourite of mine is Chestnut Hard Wax Oil, which is easy to apply, only slightly darkens the wood and will give a beautiful glossy (but in a nice classy way) sheen to the finished job. Totally agree about wire wool, I use Nyweb pads, either red which are 600 grit or yellow which are 1000 grit. Great for cutting back and indeed for applying finishes.

HTH

Richard

I've just french polished a guitar I built and have been really pleased with it. It is much easier than I had expected - although requiring care and patience. The finish however (using amber shellac) is really beautiful.

I like a shellac finish on some Oaks, stems from living with Oak furniture my farther made that were all finished 'French polish' style I guess.
Some samples of Oak I have turned with rather open pores seem to come alive with the gentle build up of shellac in the grain.

But for ware-ability and resistance to handling I would go along with Richards choice of Hard Wax Oil, very easy to apply and gives a great sheen adjustable by number of coats.

Thanks Steve and Chas, I really must learn how to 'French polish' Which as you say would be really nice as a finish, I am just too chicken to try it on the clock as I know I will muck it up!!!

Thank you very much Richard, I picked up a tin of the hard wax oil this morning and used it on a scrap piece, The colour looks really good so I am going to use this. I also picked up some of the pads, I can't help feeling that I should be doing the washing up and not sanding wood!!! :oops:

Cheers
David

Back