Can you Joint on a router table?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosuchhounds

Established Member
Reaction score
Ive seen plenty of vids about jointing on a table saw after thicknessing using a sled but I don't have a table saw (yet) and wondered if it can be achieved on router table with correct setup?

You can edge joint on a router table. Have done it many times, it actually encouraged me to remake my fence (home made table). YouTube is a great source.

Yes, you just need to offset the second half of the fence (outfeed side) by lining it tangential to the router bit.

Some router tables have this adjustment built in using either special inserts /shims /screw adjusters etc.

As others have said, you can, but some router tables might make it harder than it's worth. An alternative way to joint edges with a router is to clamp something straight and flat (MDF, plywood) along the desired line and use a template bit. This has the added advantage that you can control where the edge ends up and so can apply it to both edges to make them parallel. The fence method isn't going to help you there.

But beware.
Ideally the infeed fence should be longer that the workpiece so that it is fully supported though the whole cut. Also if your edge is convex before cutting then there is a good chance it will rock against the fence and thus cause a curved outcome. If your initial edge is convex then make sure both ends are in contact with the fence at the start of the cut.
If you have a guide slot on your table use that and be independent of fences although you will have to fix a temporary guide batten to the underside of the workpiece
Brian

But beware.
Ideally the infeed fence should be longer that the workpiece so that it is fully supported though the whole cut. Also if your edge is convex before cutting then there is a good chance it will rock against the fence and thus cause a curved outcome. If your initial edge is convex then make sure both ends are in contact with the fence at the start of the cut.
If you have a guide slot on your table use that and be independent of fences although you will have to fix a temporary guide batten to the underside of the workpiece
Brian
I've never tried it but I intend to, using a jig with a guide bar as you suggest

I've never tried it but I intend to, using a jig with a guide bar as you suggest
Go the full hog, get a Leigh FMT Pro FMT Pro | Leigh FMT Pro Mortise Tenon Jig Leigh FMT Pro and you're set for life! Suddenly jointing is great fun.
And yes, I have one pluss a couple of Triton's biggest routers.

1639034709637.png

Back