Can you identify this wood?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kayen

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Can anyone identify this wood?

It was only after cutting one board up to make some chopping boards, that it occurred to me that it might be Bog Oak, seeing how dark it is.

TIA

Attachments

• 20211120_114934.jpg
    20211120_114934.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 100
  • 20211120_110415.jpg
    20211120_110415.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 99
  • 20210808_120531.jpg
    20210808_120531.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 96
Looks like brown oak to me.
I have a similar bit lurking about somewhere, I can't remember what causes it to go brown like that.

Ollie

Haha, yes I was about to say brown oak, it’s very attractive and it’s caused by a fungus that gets into the tree nickname is beefsteak and it can sometimes have a tiger stripe so you can have beefsteak tiger stripe Oak.
Like you I have a pile of sequential boards just waiting for the right job, it’s one of those you buy it whilst you can!
Ian

Hi Kayen and welcome from another Grimsby Woodworker! I imagine you got that little pile from Somerscales the same as I did lol. Ian

Not convinced it's brown oak, but if it is, it's superb timber to work with. Picked up a few logs off the farm woodpile decades ago, without realising how nice it was, and was beaten to the rest by the fireplace.

lovely looking timber(y) i thought bog oak was expensive stuff to buy and almost black,that sapwood does not look like it has been in a bog

Haha, yes I was about to say brown oak, it’s very attractive and it’s caused by a fungus that gets into the tree nickname is beefsteak and it can sometimes have a tiger stripe so you can have beefsteak tiger stripe Oak.
Like you I have a pile of sequential boards just waiting for the right job, it’s one of those you buy it whilst you can!
Ian
Hi Kayen and welcome from another Grimsby Woodworker! I imagine you got that little pile from Somerscales the same as I did lol. Ian

Oh! There's me thinking I was sitting on a goldmine, and it's actually a pile of fungus

I'm a Grimsby import (from London) so have never heard of Somerscales - I bought them off facebook - off now to Google Somerscales

I thought I was the only woodworker in the whole of the Grimsby region - everything seems to be fish, steel, and hydraulics

It's pippy oak, caused by cattle grazing on new shoots at the base of the tree. Also known as 'cats paw oak' Bog oak is a different wood entirely, looking more like charcoal.

Oh! There's me thinking I was sitting on a goldmine, and it's actually a pile of fungus

I'm a Grimsby import (from London) so have never heard of Somerscales - I bought them off facebook - off now to Google Somerscales

I thought I was the only woodworker in the whole of the Grimsby region - everything seems to be fish, steel, and hydraulics
Love it! And you will love Somerscales, brill timberyard, with sensible prices. I think you and I are the only people from the Grimsby area on here, but there are others I have two friends who do quite a bit of woodwork so it’s not a total desert. So is this a hobby or main job? Ian

Love it! And you will love Somerscales, brill timberyard, with sensible prices. I think you and I are the only people from the Grimsby area on here, but there are others I have two friends who do quite a bit of woodwork so it’s not a total desert. So is this a hobby or main job? Ian

Hi Ian, nice to meet you.

That's handy to know of (Somerscales) though I must admit I prefer my wood thinly sliced and stuck to MDF 😂 I usually buy most of my materials through Lawcris, and occasionally through Bennetts, but the less said about them, the better.

I've made furniture all my life, these days mostly fitted, and we usually end up in Manchester, Newcastle, Birmingham or London as I'm too expensive for the local lot lol.

I used to know loads of similar businesses and people in London, so nice to find a fellow woodworker in Grimsby!

Kev

Thanks, it sounds like you’re kept pretty busy, for my part I am just about retired now but I still have my workshop in Grimsby, always on my own, and used very little of that thin stuff stuck on MDF – mine was nearly all solid wood bespoke pieces of furniture. Ian

Back