Can you identify this heavy, dense wood?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ives

Established Member
Reaction score
I got a sample today from the timberyard and the people in the office didn't know what it is. it's darkish brown, and has yellow streaks in it if you look along the side. It's so heavy and dense it's more like a brick than a piece of wood! Anyone know what it is? I can take a photo later if you don't know by the description.

Maybe ebony, that has streaks in it sometimes. Have you tried measuring the density, that would help. Just weigh a piece, then measure it carefully, and get the calculator out.

Photos!

IMG_2545.jpg

IMG_2544.jpg

IMG_2542.jpg

Here's a description of Wenge from 'World Woods in Colour' by W A Lincoln:

"The clearly defined heartwood is dark brown, with very close, fine, almost black veins. The closely spaced whitish bands of parenchyma give the wood a most attractive appearance. It is fairly straight grained with a coarse texture."

The specific gravity is 0.88, it is durable and resistant to termites (which might be handy). It has high resistance to abrasion, so is very suitable for flooring strips or blocks. It is also used for general joinery and construction, and sliced for decorative veneers for cabinets and marquetry.

I reckon Argus is right - I think your sample is Wenge.

if it is wenge, i wouldn't tell the timber yard. Play ignorant and get a price on it- if they realise what it is the price will certainly be more!

i know it as kwila its also called merbau in the uk i lived in Australia for a few years and made a lot of stairs out of it

I just had a good look at my pieces of partridge wood and this wood is definitely not partridge wood. The grain is far too straight for partridge nor do the yellow streaks in the grain tally. I also looked at a couple of big lumps of wenge, the end grain is similar, but the pieces do not have yellow streaks either. It also looks too red overall to be wenge. I had never noticed any yellow streaks in Merbau before and it looks a bit on the dark side although the reddish colour definitely looks a bit like it. Of course timber can always have grown in an area with particular mineral deposits that can give it a different appearance.

Gerard

Latest posts

Back