Can you flip a bandsaw blade?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plodmore

Established Member
Reaction score
I am new to bandsaws and would rather not break a brand new blade by my daftness. I bought 2 new blades from Tuffsaws (terrific service, nice folk). On setting up the first I noted the teeth were pointing up and not down as I expected. I have either "opened" the coil wrongly or its welded back to front (my money is on me jinxing it). Is there a good way to flip the blade without kinking it? Blade is 1/4" 62" 14tpi hobby range from aforementioned Tuffsaws.....did I mention they were very nice :D

Plodmore":3sfrirc7 said:
….. Is there a good way to flip the blade without kinking it?
Hold the loop out in front of you, taking a position approx. half way round the circle hold the blade between fingers and thumbs.
Now twist both wrists either in or out and keep going until the blade flips inside out.

If you managed to flip it when opening by controlling the release next time don't try to control it, find an open place like the lawn or yard, undo the ties and throw the blade clear of your body.

There is no "right" or "wrong" way to weld it up. Whether you need the teeth pointing down on the right (most common but not universal) or down on the right (such as for the little Delta) is down to which side of the machine the column is. My Basato has the column on the left so the teeth need to point down on the right, and mate's Delta has the column on the right and his teeth need to point down on the left.

Just do as Phil says, hold it in both hands and give it a flick. You won't do any harm.

S

Can't you have a Mobius strip blade with teeth on both edges?

Pete

Thanks all. Was fairly sure a) it was me and b) there was no special trick to switching. Just thought it best to check. My wife accepts that I will leak a little on my projects but would not be happy if counting to 10 was no longer an option.

Theres a very simple secret to keeping all fluids inside your body;;;

RESPECT the machine :shock:

Dont work tired, dont rush the job. I dont even have music playing because whatever anyone claims, it can distract you at the wrong second.
For the first several months, think each operation through before you do it, Dont stand in such a position that your hands will fall towards blades.

Thats worked for me for the past 70 years, doubt I've lost a pint in all that time.
8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

sunnybob":ui34ot4w said:
RESPECT the machine :shock:

Dont work tired, dont rush the job. I dont even have music playing because whatever anyone claims, it can distract you at the wrong second.
For the first several months, think each operation through before you do it, Dont stand in such a position that your hands will fall towards blades.
Absolutely, 100% spot on. Always try and think your way through a project by asking yourself a) what's the next step and b) what's the easiest way to do it? At one time I used to have muzak droning on in the 'shop which was usually R2 on the wireless, but the inane witterings of Bruce, Vine and the other eejit after lunch meant that it was impossible to think about on what was going on. When one half of my brain was trying to concentrate on the job, the other was listening to the muzak/witterings and the latter always won, so now the loudest thing in the shop (apart from machinery when it's working) is the tick-tock of a wall clock as I never wear a watch in the 'shop and never, ever cut dovetails at the end of the day. Ever - Rob

Back