Can you dream up a use for.....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cozzer

Established Member
Reaction score
... an old electric toothbrush?!
I'm talking a rechargeable Oral-B or AAA battery-driven Wisdom here - y'know, the type that you change brush heads on every now and then.
I've had two that I'm obviously a bit heavy-handed with, and the tops have sheared off, so I'm left with the motor unit in the plastic handle. Looking down from the top, I can see the "spinner" shifts at a fair ol' lick, but doesn't actually revolve - it's a back-and-forth movement.
About the only thing I've thought of was to attach a Dremel-type wheel - (how?! ) - and use it to maybe clean up solder on a PCB?
(That said, when did I need to do that?! Not exactly daily! )
Both motors seem quite powerful, so it'd be a shame to ditch 'em.... or would it?!

I’ve always wondered how they got a spinning motor to deliver that side to side movement so fast. It does mean if you get rid of that bit of the gearbox you will have a straight spinning motor – I think.

You can file down a key and then use it to bump locks I haven't tried but apparently it works.

Yes, there’s no spinning motor, just an oscillator that goes back and forth. The action is used in those multi-tool trimmer things, and are also used for removing plaster casts (will cut hard stuff but not skin, which moves with the cutter).

I can think of one use, but not here on a ‘family’ forum.

If you attach a plunger somehow, could it be used for rattling the bubbles out of epoxy resin fills?

Tamping down very very small quantities of cement ?.

I think if you were to use it to maybe sand or something diy it would be too strong a vibration.

That's the spirit!

well, if it sounds like i'm a neat shop guy who never does what you're doing - I had a flat response because it's the kind of advice I never personally seem to be able to follow until the last second.

Meaning, I'd keep at least one and figure that I'd find something to do with it. 10 years from now, I'd find it with battery juice leaking out of the case onto something else and then I'd pitch it.

And then one out of 10 things, I'd find a use for in a decade "SEEEEEEE....I KNOW WHY I KEEP THIS STUFF!!!"

Perhaps I should market it in competition to the "Easy DIY Power Plan"! (Google it if you're intent on saving cash on your power bills or having a laugh)

One of the guys in my woodturning club uses them to sand very fine details on carvings, just use contact adhesive to put hook tape on the end, then use loop-backed sand paper.

Not far off the original myth? Re broomsticks, I’ll let you look it up.
I haven't looked it up but that doesn't surprise me. Funny who all those religious fellas who couldn'ae get at a woman blamed all the problems of the world on... women.... Still going on now. What a shocker.

I’m happy to throw the units into the local small appliance recycling, they last a couple of years of daily use before the batteries die too fast. However each new one comes with its own charger, we use one brand and the chargers are all the same, so there is one in the bathroom cupboard we all use. I have 8 brand new chargers now sat in a cupboard which I just can’t throw out/recycle as they have never been used.

I’m happy to throw the units into the local small appliance recycling, they last a couple of years of daily use before the batteries die too fast. However each new one comes with its own charger, we use one brand and the chargers are all the same, so there is one in the bathroom cupboard we all use. I have 8 brand new chargers now sat in a cupboard which I just can’t throw out/recycle as they have never been used.
If you use a new one each month and recycle the old one each time, by next christmas you'll have more cupboard space 😉

Back