Can you buy window sections?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting. Sophisticated bits of kit. I guess smaller shops would have made do with more ordinary stuff, but bigger shops would have a hand-made production line with every stage rationalised.
That's a museum I keep meaning to visit. Have been intending a round trip to Bath, the American Museum and St Fagans. Might go for it this year!

AndyT":nxyk6fwc said:
bugbear":nxyk6fwc said:
John Brown":nxyk6fwc said:
Not only do I not have a little out-edged gouge(as far as I know), I don't even know what such a thing is.

John

Saw this thread bumped.

The commonest term is "scribing gauge", followed by "out cannel" (as opposed to "in cannel").

BugBear

Yes but... at risk of adding to the confusion but trying to help ... it's a gouge (like a chisel but with a curved edge) not a gauge (measuring or marking tool) - and a scribing gouge is in-cannel - meaning it has the bevel on the inside of the curve, so it can cut a curve when held vertically and pushed straight down.

You're right - I flipped "in" and "out" and I (further) can't spell "gouge". My bad.

BugBear

Jacob":9p0i2sg0 said:
Interesting. Sophisticated bits of kit. I guess smaller shops would have made do with more ordinary stuff, but bigger shops would have a hand-made production line with every stage rationalised.
That's a museum I keep meaning to visit. Have been intending a round trip to Bath, the American Museum and St Fagans. Might go for it this year!

I was having severe Deja vu - a quick search found:

sash-templates-t50658.html

(more pictures in that thread)

BugBear

Indeed! And I do still intend to spend some time playing with planes and chisels and try making a window sash or glazed door the old way - but it may be a year or more yet - I have a step chair to finish!

Back