• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Can you buy a soft start for a table saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

bigbob1

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi anyone knows where and how much to buy a soft-start for my Dewalt table saw as it occasionally trips the circuit breaker on my household fuse board.

MikeK

Staff member
Reaction score
Is the circuit breaker a B or C rated breaker, such as B16 or C16? If it is a B breaker, try installing a C breaker that is better suited to handle the inrush of a motor starting. I use C breakers on all circuits that I dedicated to motors.

bigbob1

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks, MikeK just checked it is a B20 so will try a C breaker and see how I get on

sunnybob

wysiwyg
Reaction score
IS there a way?
my de walt 745 gives an almighty bang when it starts. No, it doesnt trip anything, but its almost frightening when it goes from zero to a million miles an hour in a tenth of a second. :shock:

Old.bodger

Established Member
Reaction score
I think you could get this feature using a 220v to 220v single phase VFD you could also arrange dc braking I suspect.

This perhaps ( dependant on motor size )
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173938352775

I have the same make of vfd single to 3 phase and it certainly has soft start and dc braking.

Just ideas.

sunnybob

wysiwyg
Reaction score
Thats either an older or newer variant because of significant frame changes, but yes.
Its a great saw in a small space, but the start up noise sounds like its being swung over by a shotgun cartridge.

Bodgers

Established Member
Reaction score
VFDs only really work correctly with Induction motors. I’m not sure the universal motors in these site saws would play nice.

bigbob1

Established Member
Reaction score
Dominik Pierog":3qd0eut2 said:
What kind of saw?
That little one?
That is the saw I have, it is a good saw but a pain when it trips out. Thought I had it sorted when I switched the dust collection on after the saw but still cuts out.

bigbob1

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry, Dominik should not say that the saw was cutting out but what I meant was that the saw was causing the breaker in the consumer unit to trip. Following advice from MikeK, I called the electrician that installed the MCB and the cable to the shed and he is returning to fit a type C breaker. I will report back here if everything works out in case it helps others.

Lambert

Reaction score
I had the same problem with my dewalt table saw. I use a starting current limiter. I can't post a link but if you Google Renkforce 622412 Starting current limiter you'll find the one I have. Works a charm.

bigbob1

Established Member
Reaction score
Thank you Lambert that is very useful information to know will probably help Sunnybob too. If my new breaker does not work then at least I know I can get one of these.

sunnybob

wysiwyg
Reaction score
I was kind of interested, but at 55 quid in the UK, plus shipping to me, I'm not that interested ta very much. :roll:
Mine has never tripped a fuse, it just starts very loudly. But as I wear ear protectors when I'm using it, I'll pass. 8) 8)

DBT85

Established Member
Reaction score
I did see a video on your tube of a guy adding one to his dewalt. I think it was a spare from a makita something.

bigbob1

Established Member
Reaction score
Quick update as promised the type C breaker fitted by electrition and no problem since even with my Camvack starting with 2 motors on and the table saw