Can you buy a soft start for a table saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbob1

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi anyone knows where and how much to buy a soft-start for my Dewalt table saw as it occasionally trips the circuit breaker on my household fuse board.

Is the circuit breaker a B or C rated breaker, such as B16 or C16? If it is a B breaker, try installing a C breaker that is better suited to handle the inrush of a motor starting. I use C breakers on all circuits that I dedicated to motors.

IS there a way?
my de walt 745 gives an almighty bang when it starts. No, it doesnt trip anything, but its almost frightening when it goes from zero to a million miles an hour in a tenth of a second. :shock:

I think you could get this feature using a 220v to 220v single phase VFD you could also arrange dc braking I suspect.

This perhaps ( dependant on motor size )
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173938352775

I have the same make of vfd single to 3 phase and it certainly has soft start and dc braking.

Just ideas.

What kind of saw?
That little one?
Dewalt_DWE74852.jpg

Thats either an older or newer variant because of significant frame changes, but yes.
Its a great saw in a small space, but the start up noise sounds like its being swung over by a shotgun cartridge.

VFDs only really work correctly with Induction motors. I’m not sure the universal motors in these site saws would play nice.

Dominik Pierog":3qd0eut2 said:
What kind of saw?
That little one?
Dewalt_DWE74852.jpg
That is the saw I have, it is a good saw but a pain when it trips out. Thought I had it sorted when I switched the dust collection on after the saw but still cuts out.

Sorry, Dominik should not say that the saw was cutting out but what I meant was that the saw was causing the breaker in the consumer unit to trip. Following advice from MikeK, I called the electrician that installed the MCB and the cable to the shed and he is returning to fit a type C breaker. I will report back here if everything works out in case it helps others.

I had the same problem with my dewalt table saw. I use a starting current limiter. I can't post a link but if you Google Renkforce 622412 Starting current limiter you'll find the one I have. Works a charm.

Thank you Lambert that is very useful information to know will probably help Sunnybob too. If my new breaker does not work then at least I know I can get one of these.

I was kind of interested, but at 55 quid in the UK, plus shipping to me, I'm not that interested ta very much. :roll:
Mine has never tripped a fuse, it just starts very loudly. But as I wear ear protectors when I'm using it, I'll pass. 8) 8)

I did see a video on your tube of a guy adding one to his dewalt. I think it was a spare from a makita something.

Quick update as promised the type C breaker fitted by electrition and no problem since even with my Camvack starting with 2 motors on and the table saw

Back