Can We Help NHS with PPE?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philip999green

Reaction score
I have a couple of decent dust masks that use replaceable filters. I’m not sure whether they can be useful in a clinical environment? However, if they can then I would be happy to donate them to frontline staff in the NHS. Is there anyone on this forum who can shed some clarity on this?

Philip

I have wondered the same - seeing the stuff the popular media have been putting up (bin bags etc.), I guess the answer would be "Yes!". In a similar position as you, I grabbed a couple of spare masks I had, then realised they had been used many times and were in absolute term terms, filthy. The area round the chin was almost black - OK, it was only sweat and ebony sawdust but it looks bad and I decided that there was no way any sane person would take such a thing from a stranger.

I suspect it would be much like charity shops, they would thank for your donation then take it out back and bin it.

My wife is sewing up masks for the local hospices, they have to be a certain pattern.
I have a few at work but we need them as well.

I gave a spare face shield to my local chemist (the one I've been using is pretty hideous), they were very grateful for it. I think in hospitals they're limited in what they can accept on account of regulations (especially on face masks), but care workers that I know of are begging for any kind of ppe to help them stop getting/ spreading the virus.
ps Custard started a thread on the same a week or more ago - some useful comments there.
donating-masks-t122053.html

Back