Can Trend Airshield filters be sterilized?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inspector

Nyuck, Nyuck, Nyuck!
Reaction score
Can the Trend Airshield Pro filters be sterilized by microwaving? Heat breaking down the plastic or fabric? Can it be sterilized by soaking in alcohol? The alcohol breaking down the filter fabric or glue to the plastic?

The reason I ask is if I get one for my wife, a nurse, can the filter be sanitized each day? I realize they are only good for .6 micron but it is a lot better than home made sewn ones.

Anyone got a set of old filters they would to nuke to see? :)

Thanks
Pete

Time and temperature, lower temperature longer time. Pasteurisation is an example. 70degC for 30mins.

Heating anything in a microwave is I find very hot and miss with large temperature variations. I think you’d melt some parts and not expose others to enough temperature.

Fitz

Could you buy a few spare filter sets; after the first day, replace with fresh set and place the first set somewhere warm that any virus would not survive (24 hours on cardboard/ 3 days on plastic); replace the first set after 3 days?
That said, is a mask that sucks up ambient air and continually passes it over the face the best thing? No idea.

A full face covering does have the benefit of preventing you touching your face without some conscious effort.

Fitzroy":263qnh80 said:
A full face covering does have the benefit of preventing you touching your face without some conscious effort.
I'm sure - on which point (Inspector or anyone near the front line) should those of us with these things (for woodturning) be offering them up to local NHS staff? I've seen people 3d printing them in something of a rush, is there still a shortage?
500080_xl.jpg

Attachments

• 500080_xl.jpg
    500080_xl.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 196
Chris152":2l6rft3i said:
should those of us with these things be offering them up to local NHS staff? I've seen people 3d printing them in something of a rush, is there still a shortage?

Interesting question. I offered some FFP2 masks to my local GP and found out they only had basic paper surgical masks, I don't know about full face air masks like the Trend or Airshield, but based on that sample of one GP I'd say that if you have any spare FFP1, FFP2, or FFP3 face masks then it's certainly worth a call to your local GP.

It's a good thought, but I would have said almost certainly not. To some extent it depends on the precise nature of the occupational exposure, but equipment that's changed on a sessional basis rather than in between individual patients is risky to the user because it gets dirtier and dirtier as the shift progresses, and also presents considerable risk of cross infection between patients. Anybody deviating from the Public Health England guidance on this is heading for problems, to say nothing of the usual issues around putting equipment into uses not intended by the manufacturer.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... poster.pdf

This is the latest info, issued at tea time on Thursday. All advice is getting updated regularly, which is good on one hand, but a pain on the other. The first half hour every day is spent making sure we're using the most up to date information.
G

Medical devices engineer here....

Really that’s not what’s needed for her. It’s a virus that lives briefly in droplets of liquid, you may be able to clean the filter a bit, but you’d need to do the inside, outside and the air pathway at the same time and any part of it you touch to put it on etc... that’s usually done with ethylene oxide (lethally toxic gas), steam at 134c and 3 atmospheres or gamma radiation, so nothing that’s too easy at home. Also remember that “sterile” does not mean clean either, that’s a separate process.

What’s needed are disposable splash masks and normal face masks to reduce the inhalation of other people’s droplets and production of new ones.

Otherwise to really protect you from a virus, it’s a full pressurised hazmat suit like you see in films.

It’s a scary time for some, that’s for sure, staff will get the best and most appropriate equipment that can be provided, if more is needed they will work to do it

Aidan

Inspector":340gzep2 said:
Can the Trend Airshield Pro filters be sterilized by microwaving?

I don't know about Airshield but I read an interesting article about a hospital that was experimenting on re-using their FFP2 and FFP3 masks. They said a temperature of 100 degrees C destroyed the mask, but (from memory) 70 degrees C killed the virus but preserved the mask. However, they still didn't recommend more than four or five sterilising cycles.

Aidan is yer man on this, but yes, there is a shortage.

In my wife's surgery, they have insufficient face shields. So the nurses on front door duty get them (checking for anyone with Covid19 symptoms), but my wife only has scrubs and a facemask, in part because she wears glasses, which offer some eye protection - if shields were available they would be used.

Ordinary surgical masks are also in short supply, but, as Aidan says, it's probably impossible to maintain things intended for other purposes.

They are sharing out the remaining few face-shields they have by need (not all GPs are seeing patients face-to-face all the time). They have an isolation room set up (expected to become a whole corridor as things worsen), and the staff manning that get priority, obviously.

The other issue is staff who apparently have had the virus returning to work: in the absence of tests they have no idea if people are still infectious (and anyway there's still good old influenza doing the rounds as it does every year), so sharing masks, shields, etc., is tricky. This is the case with at least two of her juniors, and possibly some of the nursing staff, too.

All the GPs there are now switching to scrubs at the beginning of the work day to be on the safe side, and changing back into their own clothes to come home.

At home, we are looking at ways of being isolated from each other, as I'm in a high risk category. Frankly, I think it's only a matter of time before I catch it, and I'm praying I survive, as I haven't really got my affairs in order and I would leave rather a mess for her and the kids to sort out. Steve's seen our place and will no doubt agree on this point :)

Regarding the kind idea of donating masks, I suspect clear face shields would be preferred for that reason - they are certainly needed locally here. Probably the best thing is to email your surgery if you have spares - easier to process than phoning as they are pretty busy on the switchboards now, having switched as much work as possible to remote.

E.

I have a cpap unit for sleep apoena. I purchased a small ozone denerator to kill anything that lurks within. About £20 from banggood. Very easy to use.

Thanks for weighing in folks. We've decided to forgo the powered respirators altogether, in part because of the weight.

We do have a couple dozen N95 masks here at home for the shop but most of them have the exhale valve in them that are not supposed to be used in a hospital setting because they don't want you breathing on the patients, potentially infecting them.

We also have some full face respirators, so if push come to shove she will take those to use at work. They can be more easily washed in strong soap and the thick pre-filters can be cleaned and sterilized. When the pre-filters run out I have some similar filter material that can be cut and fit.

I did some researching and found that microwaves can be used to sterilize bacteria and viruses by "cooking" them on high for 2 to 4 minutes up to 10 minutes for some, or twice at the shorter intervals, more effective if the item is wet. The downside is if there are incompatible components like some plastics, metals, adhesives and some materials themselves.

As for shortages. Yes there is a very real shortage of masks to the point that in the hospital my wife is working in they keep the N95 masks locked up and only issue them on an as needed basis. They have surgical masks but those don't offer much protection if the patient has a more acute case. A hockey mask company has switched to making face shields for the medical industry and a garment factory is getting setup to produce gowns etc too. Staying at home is flattening the curve but there is a manufacturing lag that comes with this kind of situation so things get worse before getting better.

What set me off looking into the Trend was my wife coming home from her 12 hour night shift to tell me she learned the unit she works in has been designated to take all the Covid19 cases followed a few hour later by the news that the leader of a certain country has stopped a major manufacturer from exporting any masks outside their country. Needless to say that will put a hardship on us. That is as political as I will go and ask that it not be commented on here any further.

Pete

htf666":3q9zrhu7 said:
I have a cpap unit for sleep apoena. I purchased a small ozone denerator to kill anything that lurks within. About £20 from banggood. Very easy to use.

Ozone is really dangerous stuff, some of our service centres used to use it for decontamination of devices, the down-side being that it destroyed the plastics the devices were made from and it does that to nearly all plastic.

I’m guessing that you’ve not had that problem and I’m also guessing you’ve not been getting the symptom of ozone exposure as I’m also speculating that for £20... you aren’t getting much ozone out of that generator which is good, or it’d be thoroughly dangerous.

The online modern-day witchdoctors are busy recently, I’m seeing quite a few ideas ranging from the stupid to the ineffective and all the way to more dangerous than nothing approach.

Whilst we have moved a bit off topic, in general if the government isn’t advising you to do it, it’s probably not worth doing.

Aidan

Back