Can this be done on a router

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to cut with a router before I got the tablesaw and jig.

I recall they needed clamping to a sliding mitre gauge and beware at the end of cut it is not pulled in to any fence apertures. (its usually end grain you are cutting and that is not as clean as with a saw blade)

I take it coder that you are aware that one half has to be done in the vertical plane? Also that the timber cannot be simply run along the fence, or in the vertical plane, running on the table top?
They do a first class job, under the right conditions.

Roy.

thecoder":27vslla8 said:
Thanks for the replys guys, I am wanting to make lock mitres for small boxes etc and wondered if these cutters were easy and effective to use ..

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/workshop-&-po ... 4%22-s=1_2
OK for big boxes - they seem to be for 7/8" timber - thicker than most furniture boxes/drawers etc. A small box with 7/8" size is approaching being a block of wood!

Axminster do a smaller version Jacob, as you say the big 'uns are a bit large for boxes. Ax's small one does 10mm? IIRC.

Roy.

Once you've got the setup right, make a couple of scrap pieces to use as a gauge for future use, it speeds setup

Aidan

Whilst looking at cutters, have a think about what hinges you plan to use, because (I believe) the nice hawthorne hinges are 9mm or so, so need timber thicker than this.

Once you've got the setup right, make a couple of scrap pieces to use as a gauge for future use, it speeds setup

Doesn't it just! :lol:
The setting up time is the problem.

Roy.

Digit":ofnd067y said:
I take it coder that you are aware that one half has to be done in the vertical plane? Also that the timber cannot be simply run along the fence, or in the vertical plane, running on the table top?

Roy.

No I wasn't aware Roy I'm very much new to it.

thecoder":11wt3th9 said:
Digit":11wt3th9 said:
Roy.
No I wasn't aware Roy I'm very much new to it.

It's all explained here and once you've familiarised yourself with the procedure and done a few test pieces you'll find it's not difficult.

Back