Can someone ID / sanity check me on this Stanley No. 4?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExcessLockup

Reaction score
Images Here

I got this No. 4 essentially free with a Record No. 5 I bought and hoped it might be a Type 17 but to me it looks like a modern plane. Would I be correct in assuming it's from the 70s?

The iron is marked G12-204

I plan on getting some Evaporust or something to clean it up and use it as a scrub plane.

That'll be one of Stanley's "Handyman" planes, bizarrely they're still made and sold today but they must've been around since the 50s.

On a mobile, your link leads to images which show in extra pale colours, on half the screen only. The other half has non-hidable links to install apps that I don't want.

Screenshot_2020-08-06-09-34-06.jpg

Probably ok for people with the Imgur app but not great.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-08-06-09-34-06.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-08-06-09-34-06.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 238
Trevanion":2tog74ki said:
That'll be one of Stanley's "Handyman" planes, bizarrely they're still made and sold today but they must've been around since the 50s.

Yeah, I've got one which looked just like that until I made my own handles. It's just like any other number 4 except it doesn't have a frog adjustment screw, and it has a plastic depth adjuster knob. Works perfectly well.

AndyT":3e4w9n92 said:
On a mobile, your link leads to images which show in extra pale colours, on half the screen only. The other half has non-hidable links to install apps that I don't want.

If you press the 'Continue' button it'll go away without installing anything else.

Thanks for the responses all!

This is the first I've really heard of the Handyman series, as long as it's a solid plane I'll fix clean it up and get it working again. I might even have a go at making some wooden handles for it.

Back