Can someone explain elm to me, please?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The interesting thing is that as far as I know underwater it was really rot resistant and is why it was used for lock gates.
We still get suckers growing in our garden but when they are about as thick as my arm they die off.
Curious that....elm was used for some sea boats...especially along the south coast where it was later dislplaced by larch ....& pitch pine. I have had a Hastings fishing boat of elm on oak & that lasted very well. But I had a pitch pine boat that had rot in the plank edges but I suspect sap wood was the cause. Neverending source of interest wood......... but not always predictable.....

It was also used extensively for canal barges in England.

Constable loved painting them and my late friend Martin loved repairing them.

image537.jpg

Check out the adze and caulking mallet by the dog.

Last edited:
It is rot resistant so long as it is permanently wet.
I was told the same by an old body builder - trucks not pecs.
They used it for wheel arch linings too.
I've seen an old elm Roman water pipe in York.
I think there are many house frames of elm that are assumed to be oak.

Nelson warships were elm below the waterline, and oak above it. The pilings of the medieval London Bridge were found to ve elm when it was dismantled for shipping to America, they lasted hundreds of years.

I built a house in rural Warwickshire in the late seventies. Large plot, lots of trees. Turned out they were mostly elm and died. I ended up with one tree which was Ash. Probably about right for the size of garden. Main problem was was the house foundations, blue lias clay and trees, heave/shrinkage. I could look across the surrounding land and see the elms dying. Loads of elm available then.

I would like to acquire some elm to make a feature table from, but I don't understand it's availibility at all.

I thought Dutch elm disease killed it all, but I've seen the odd bit for sale. And then someone told me today that it was still availible in Scotland, but not really around where I am (Devon)?

I'm not in a rush at all (the table will be for us, not for sale), so what would be my best plan as to obtaining a live edge section of about 6 or 7 feet in length, preferably with some burr?

Thank you.
For what it's worth...

https://www.woodworkz.co.uk/stocklist/#
Dunno about carriage but they have some boards available... Check out the Gallery.

Elm will resist rot if kept totally wet (they used green elm for canal lock gates) or totally dry (floorboards etc). It won't last long if it keeps getting wet and then dries out. I'm guessing the elm in Nelson's boats must have been completely below the waterline. It's grain is like my temper ~ short ~ and it snaps under stress. It is a lovely wood though.

Back