Can someone explain elm to me, please?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

julianf

Established Member
Reaction score
I would like to acquire some elm to make a feature table from, but I don't understand it's availibility at all.

I thought Dutch elm disease killed it all, but I've seen the odd bit for sale. And then someone told me today that it was still availible in Scotland, but not really around where I am (Devon)?

I'm not in a rush at all (the table will be for us, not for sale), so what would be my best plan as to obtaining a live edge section of about 6 or 7 feet in length, preferably with some burr?

Thank you.

It’s readily available over the UK, I think most of mine came from Scotland originally but most suppliers have it and there’s is some cut in the south

Thank you all. I'm in no rush, so I will keep an eye open for some.

I'll ask in a bit what I would expect to pay, but I'd need to work out the size I want before asking!

(I'm aware there's cubic foot pricing but often slabs don't follow that at all, so I'm not asking for a simple CF number, but more of a real world figure : )

Price can vary a lot, but as an example the person who’s post has now vanished was asking 10x what I’d pay.

There is definitely a supplier of good elm near Yeovil and another near Andover

This is the sort of look im after (screen grabs off youtube)

elm1.jpg

elm2.jpg

Ie i DONT want somthing spotless. Ill do a bit of resin, but, at the same time, i DONT want to be making a river table.

Basically i like bits of resin work, but dont like river tables... Again its for us, noone else.

Again, not looked at the size yet. Need to measure up the room, and speak to SWMBO

If it helps you save up, most of the Elm they get is from the Queen's woodlands at Balmoral and Holyrood. It all comes with a certificate of provenance including it's original geo location.
1632985337603.png

I gather there are still some very fine English elms growing in Australia (where they are a bit less flapsyhapsy about biosecurity)!?

In fairness, some of those boards at the Wood Place look beautiful, all the hard work's done, the wood's been kilned etc so all that really needs doing is the substructure and some finishing on the top. Pretty waney-edge tables on that scale fetch a pretty penny.

Last edited:
Perhaps take out a mortgage, buy 3, make 3 tables, double the cost of each & sell, then buy one for yourself from the profit! That's if they sell?:unsure:

If it is of any interest so is in my experience elm well suited for drying in microwave ovens. Gently, of course, but the end results have been very good. Got quite a few decent planks from a mate some years back, and much has ended up as 'Danish bowls' treated with white Osmo hardwax oil (see picture).

1632988727525.png

1632988820041.png

Back