Can someone do a bit of math for me please.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hudson Carpentry

Established Member
Reaction score
Im normally pretty good at maths but im missing something here

Wood yard have changed there prices from cubed square to per square metre.

Size of timber is 102x102mm and the price per square metre is £236. I need 11 metres and came up with £28 (rounded) which I know for ash is wrong :roll: So I worked it out another way and got £48 rounded (hammer) .

Working out with there old cubic metre price its £157. I don't trust the old prices anymore. The other day I worked out a small shelf unit would cost £35 in Ash using the old way and prices. When I ordered it came to over £50.

Why they have to change things I don't know.

11 metres of 4x4 ash for £27 doesnt sound right. If it is can i have the name of the timber yard.

A square metre would be 10.76 cubic ft but it would be 12 inches thick. The square metre pricing seems a bit odd to me

cheers

Jon

Assumng that the price per square metre is for timber 102mm thick 11 metres of timber would amount to 1.122 square metres
1.122 x£236 = £264.79
all the best
rob

You'd expect them to price per cubic metre, which will vary slightly for different sizes but be well over £1000 for most hardwoods. Or per linear metre for any particular size. But never per square metre, except for sheet materials perhaps.
So maybe go back and check your prices.
Could it be £2360 per cubic metre? This would give you £270.
Your old method price £157 sounds more like it and would give you £1371 per cubic metre.

As Jacob says:

Don't see how they can price by the square metre unless they seperately price for every thickness as per sheet materials :?
Calcs are straight forward as you've already done in mm : width x depth x length = m3 x cube price = £ cost

Bet they've used the change to increase prices though

Bob

studders":2fofxra2 said:
Wouldn't that make their price for a cubic metre app £2360 ?

without trying to get off topic I priced a job couple of years ago and £2500 cubic metre was what one supplier was quoting for american white oak. this was not some tiny dealer but possibly one of the biggest timber merchants in north wales /nw england i didn`t buy needless to say
all the best
rob

The yard is Brooks Bros formally Fitchett & Woollacott.

I asked for an upto date price list and they gave me a coloured booklet will loads of different timbers and materials and everything is either price per sheet, price per linear metre or price per square metre.

Yes its a different price per thickness. The old price sheet ( A4 print out in form of table) is still on my wall and is all in cubic metre, for Ash at 102 thick its £1305. If rob is correct thats one hell of a mark up from the old price which amounts to £157 and the new amount which is £267 :O and his sum makes sense to me. Thick of drawing a flat square and trying to fit 102mm widths within the square.

To be honest im not that happy with the company currently. I went in a couple months back for some timber I had priced my normal way to be £65ish. It came to well over £100 (about 5 metres worth of mixed type, inch thick boards). I asked for new price list then to which they said they hadn't got any left. Specking to a cabinet maker I know he said that to him it seemed that they make up prices for smaller amounts and don't seem helpful for anything less than £500. Trouble is its the closest hardwood yard to me and they only one I know off without going to granthem. They do mess you about. If you pop in for a metre or two, you can be there 45min waiting. I an't paying £20 for them to deliver a metre or two.

Another annoying thing is they now only sell swan as random lengths and widths. If you want a metre and all they have is a 2.3m length in, they will not cut it as they used to, they charge you for the full 2.3m. Even if its a large amount.

Going to ring associated timbers up.

Rob Platt":2uleiipm said:
studders":2uleiipm said:
Wouldn't that make their price for a cubic metre app £2360 ?

without trying to get off topic I priced a job couple of years ago and £2500 cubic metre was what one supplier was quoting for american white oak. this was not some tiny dealer but possibly one of the biggest timber merchants in north wales /nw england i didn`t buy needless to say
all the best
rob

I would expect to use that pricing for Oak AW at thickness 64mm upwards.

1 Sq mt of 102mm ( 4") is 3.52cuft

So

The cost in cubic feet would be £236 divided by 3.52cuft = £67.05 per cubic feet.

The price per cubic meter will £67.05 multiplied by 35.315 = £2367.87 per cubic meters.

I always work things in cubic feet.

11m = 36.08 ft in length

I make it that the cost would be £ 268.80

It is a while since I bought any Ash that thick but it does sound expensive

I think Bob has hit the nail on the head though and they have done this to confuse people so they can charge more.
Tom

After ringing Associated Timbers a very helpful guy called Ian even rang me back. He even said if I send my cutting lists to him he will work out the quote for me. They don't publish any price list but from some of the prices per cubic metre he gave me I was very impressed. Ash as low as £500. For the 11m of 4x4 it came to £169.40.

All the prices he gave was lower by quite a bit than Brooks old cubic metre prices.

Cheers guys and thanks for the sums!

Back