Can I use this NOS starter

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t8hants

Established Member
Reaction score
I acquired two of these NOS Allen West starters and promptly forgot about them for thirty years. So having rediscovered them in the back of a cupboard, my question is would one of these be suitable to use on the 1/2HP single phase motor on my slowly being rebuilt ML8? Seems a shame to throw them away, and yes I do have the dashpot oil as well.

Attachments

• P1010088.JPG
    P1010088.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 21
  • P1010089.JPG
    P1010089.JPG
    147.8 KB · Views: 20
It will work fine, but if it's similar to the MEM "Startet" starters I have of a similar vintage, it's just a mechanically latching switch with thermal cutout, and won't have NVR (no volt release) which prevents unintended restarts (especially
when an E-Stop is reset), and thus would not be acceptable for many purposes in a commercial environment.

As long as you're using it at home, and are aware of the small additional risk compared to a modern starter, then it should be fine.

I have previously gutted starters of that age to reconfigure them as a push button control station for a seperate NVR and thermal cutout hidden away in a box somewhere, which worked just fine, but was quite a lot more faff that I anticipated for what was effectively purely aesthetic purposes.

Back