Can I use a vfd To run a panel saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davidjonesbespoke

Reaction score
Hi
1st time using this forum so hope you can help.
I’ve just about to buy a used altendorf wa6 but it’s 3 phase & ive just got 240v, I’ve seen the vfds but do I need 2 of them to run the main blade & scorer Blade or can it be done with 1 vfd as the blades are on separate motors?

Thanks

I believe it can be done (driving two motors off 1 vfd) and there are articles on the web describing how to do it. On this saw though the main motor is, I believe a 4kW (5.5HP) and the scorer is much smaller. For ease (and possibly cost) I would go for two seperate VFDs - one large and one small. They usually connect directly to the motor so require some changes to the switchgear.
Looks like you will need a dedicated 32A circuit for this machine on a C type breaker.

Provided the main motor is running when you start the scoring motor then yes it is possible. However both motors need to be dual voltage and re-wired to 240 v delta 3 phase.
The control wiring might need looking at too but with expert help it is possible.
However I don't think you will need variable speed and so it could be much easier to use a phase converter eg transwave and that will give you plug and play 415v with no changes to the saw.

I think a rotary converter is highly unlikely to damage the braking module but I agree , VFD and static converters could cause a problem with the brake.

Rotary sounds like the way to go. I did find this digital phase shifter that’s like a vfd but it’s basic & more like a plug & play.

For some reason I can’t put links in
I found it on eBay & Amazon

You will need a meaty 240 supply possibly with 32 amp type C breaker to run the converter. It not going to work off a 13amp plug!

I’ve got 16amp plugs & possibly 32 amp space on the board but I’ve just sent an email to altendorf for there recommendation if as the manual says any converter will damage the braking it might be back to the drawing board & continue looking for a 240v saw

It's a quality saw. You should use separate VFD's for each blade.
Taking a simple example of what could go wrong connecting two motors on one drive, if the scorer bearings failed and the (what, 550W ?) motor overloaded, a 5kW VFD configured for the 4kW main spindle full load amps or more won't even notice a problem. The VFD will happily burn out the scorer motor instead of shutting down on overload as it would if it were used correctly.

Oh, and you won't need a type C breaker if you use VFDs. A decent one can be configured to ensure the drive never draws more than the equivalent of motor full load amps on starting. Startup surge becomes a non issue.

Latest posts

Back