Can I please SCREAM?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbie_Neil

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

On the spur of the moment I decided to lay the ply floor in my workshop today. This would involve having the boards cut in half lengthways to fit in the car. The scene is set.

I started the morning by doing a few jobs for the LOML and then drove over to B&Q to pick up some ply boards for the workshop floor. I find a trolley and wheel it over to the timber and just as I am about to pull out the first, of four, boards I notice that the saw is out of order. :eek:

So, no problem say I, Home base is just up the road. In I go, confirm they have a saw and then set about finding the right boards. Oh no, 9mm is the thickest. :eek:

So, no problem say I, I'll go to Wickes as it's not far. Into the store I go confident that I will find the board I want and yes, I'm right. Now where is that saw? ##++**@@@@@ Yes you've guessed it, there wasn't one. :x

Oh well, I can do a few more jobs for the LOML and when I've calmed down we can go out for a walk in the country. To compound it all I have to work tomorrow.

Oh well, another weekend gone. :roll:

Rant over. :wink:

Cheers
Neil

Thats very unlucky Neil. I agree their is nothing more frustrating than lack of materials when you have allocated time to a project.

I've noticed our local Wickes doesn't have a panel saw either - last time I needed something cutting to get it into the car, I took the workmate, a ruler and a panel saw!

Wickes seems to cater more for professionals - who invariably drive white vans which can take an 8x4 sheet judging from the vehicles in the car park when I've been there before.

Anyway..... good luck with it for during the week!

Adam

The floor in my workshop is moisture resistant 3/4" chipboard, tonge and grooved all round, 8'x2', £4.99 from Wickes, ideal because the t&g keeps the edges down
John

Neil, I know exactly how you feel.

By the way, remind me what LOML exactly stands for :?: :?:

My local B&Q got upgraded to "Mini Superstore" status (They took over the next door which was a smallish comet) and introduced 8x4 sheets. MDF - none of this size ply sadly as yet.

About a month after it had opened, I decided I needed some MDF - £12 for an 18mm 8*4 sheet really isnt bad. Places like Travis Perkins are £30 almost - TRADE prices? my A$$.

So I went in, oh no it was out of order!

2 weeks later I returned, there was a young guy using this mamoth panel saw. The way he treated it, and the actual accuracy he worked to was appauling, I didn't care how many sheets of wood he cut wrong, I wasnt leaving or paying until he cut it right! (So B&Q ended up loosing what was a perfectly good sheet when he got it wrong)

Guy before me left with some really cacked up MDF this bloke had cut nasty binding marks on the edges where the saw had got caught and all sorts, If I was him I would have demanded a fresh sheet to be cut properly!

LOML = Love Of My Life (possibly there needs to be one to get it to stick in the memory? If only you had a Unisaw or something... :wink: )

Time to plug Acronym Finder again then. :D

Cheers, Alf

Wickes usually do 8x2 ply as well. Did you look for it? Might save waiting hours at Homebase whilst they find someone to operate the saw.
Mind you, ply on the floor :?: Bit unusual, no? Gaps in between sheets, splinters, not essentially waterproof.... :roll:
Why not use flooring grade T&G chipboard as John mentions? Comes in 8x2s. Just the stuff!

Hi everyone

Thanks for all of your replies.

I intend putting 3 x 2 cls under the plywood, then carpet tiles and then a 172Kg saw and a 160Kg jointer on top to keep it weighed down. :wink:

The floor is dry and I want strength. Mind you, Adam thinks I'm overengineering it by at least 1,000%. :roll:

Would the T&G chipboard be strong enough?

Cheers
Neil

Ahh, see I reckon the plywood is the best for strenght - especially ig you are having heavy machines. 3 x 2's - doesn't make much odds I don't reckon - anything from 2 x 1 would be ok i reckon. it all depends on how far apart you situate you beams. I've seen a "moisture proof" chipboard break down over a long (10 year) period of time. Besides, what happens when you spill the odd chemical/oil onto the chipboard. I don't think it has the same longevity as plywood.

Neil

I have used theT&G chipboard and definitely think it will be strong enough. Just make sure that you support the joints properly if putting joists under it

Also the T&G chpipboard is CHEAP

Cheers

Tony

Hi Tony

I understand what you're saying but what I want is absolute certainty.

For the sake of another fifty pounds I can get the peace of mind that I want.

Thanks everyone for your help.

The good news is that there is another B&Q only about eight miles from my office, so I might have to pop out at lunchtime. :roll:

Cheers
Neil

PS The LOML felt so sorry for me that she let me watch the Cup Final. If only I'd had that plywood, I could have missed that pleasure.

Simple solution. Buy and lay the T&G chipboard floor. Quick, cheap, no raised edges. Buy some pieces of plywood large enough for your heavy machines. Place the plywood under the machines. Total safety, peace of mind, and machines that are easy to move around by sliding.
John

Newbie_Neil":2vxjam6e said:
Hi everyone
Would the T&G chipboard be strong enough?
Neil, The T&G water resistant chipboard flooring is strong and even stronger if you glue the joints as you lay it. It'll be as strong as the ply when its dry.

John

Hi all

Thanks again for the posts.

As I was working, I went out at lunchtime and bought the plywood.

I've put one complete board down tonight and the difference is dramatic. No more aching feet. :wink:

Cheers
Neil

My local B&Q got rid of their saw some years ago. Wickes dont have a cutting service either. I found Wickes WBP ply to be so much less than from other suppliers it was worth buying a cordless saw from B&Q, make a couple of folding saw horses & buy the ply at Wickes & cut the board in the car park. An 8' x 6" piece of melamine chipboard bought at the same time is used as a straight edge held with 2 quick grip clamps. 3 of their 8x4 sheets saved enough to buy the cordless saw from B&Q.

Back