Can I do this?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtr1

Established Member
Reaction score
Can I solder brass to stainless steel? I have some stainless skewers that are slightly to small for the holes on my rotisserie, so when I load them up they slip a bit and cook uneven. I am using brass shims at the moment, but when I take the skewers out, often they fall into the charcoal and get lost. I was hoping to make them more permanent, any other suggestion if I can't solder the brass. It doesn't get that hot where the shims are, so I hope the lead won't melt? Anyway thank you in advance.

I hadn't considered epoxy, I will give it a try. What kind of aggressive flux would I need if the epoxy doesn't work out, or just for future reference.

Suggest careful choice of solder type for food applications, do you really want to use one with lead in it ?
Same may apply to epoxies, check the data sheets.

Had you been nearer, I would have offered to tack it with TIG. Prehaps a stainless washer of the same grade could be soldered on (I think 304 is food grade, but it may be 316, I get mixed up).

Thanks for all the replies, I've spoken with a welder who works on the farm where I rent my unit, and he has offered to Tig some shims on. The reason I didn't epoxy and or try to solder, was when I slide the meat on it needs to not catch and rip the meat, I figured I could file/grind the stainless to a wedge shape without risk of it coming off. Of course I could be wrong.

Back