Can I cut brass with my woodworking bandsaw?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ydb1md

Established Member
Reaction score
If I buy a blade that I will use occasionally for cutting of brass or aluminum, can I use my woodworking bandsaw?

Hello ydb1md

Yes you can. If you use a fine tooth blade and go slow. It don't cut as fast as simular sized wood.
After cutting, be sure and clean the tires on your wheels as the small metal bits tend to imbed themselves. :wink:

Travis

Travis,

Thanks for the tip.

Is that picture in your avatar where you live or where you'd like to live?

Dave

I don't know if you have a scrollsaw, but they're ideal for cutting brass and aluminium. You can get blades specially designed for cutting metal and there's no risk of swarf getting embedded in the works.

If you're thinking of cutting thin or small pieces of metal, it might also be worth using a metal cutting blade in a hand-held fretsaw instead of going to the trouble of setting up your bandsaw.

I realise this info isn't directly pertinent to the question you asked, but I thought it might be useful nevertheless.

Gill

Thanks for the post Gill. I hadn't even considered using my scroll saw. #-o

Hello ydb1md
The avatar pic is of some fond memories of a vacation in Yellowstone Park. I wouldn't mind living there in the summer time, but I am afraid the winter might be a bit on the chilly side. :wink:
Travis

Latest posts

Back