Can computer prices get any lower?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
Just received the business flyer from Dell.

Pentium 4 3GHz, 512Mb RAM (OK that's a bit low but workable), 160Gb drive

and a 17" flat panel display, keyboard etc

plus a proper copy of XP Pro

(OK excludes VAT and delivery) but to a business VAT is recoverable..

all for £349 !

OOPS...just turned to the front page and there's a PC same spec apart from using a Celeron 2.8G processor and XP Home...

a snip at £249 !!

I was going to sell some of my old PCs on eBay but it's just not worth the hassle!

Roger Sinden":3idb10wm said:
I was going to sell some of my old PCs on eBay but it's just not worth the hassle!

There are various charities that collect old PC's refurbish and send them to the third world. Perhaps you could consider donating your unwanted PCs to them?

Adam

Roger, I think they can and will. I would not be surprised when PCs are given away for "free" with a bundle of software or by ISPs offering broadband packages.

It seems to me that the money is made in support, both hardware and software, via preminum rate 'phone numbers and support contracts and on upgrades and peripherals

Andy

I bought a new low-end Dell for SWMBO a couple of weeks back - £149 including VAT & delivery :shock:. OK, it was monitor-less (she already had a TFT from her previous machine) and it was only a Celeron 2.8GHz, 0.5GB RAM, but it was still a great deal.

Makes me cry about the £1000 paid for 64MB RAM not that many years ago :cry:

Cheers,
Neil

I now bin mine as if you give them to friends or family there is a support issue and last time I called one of the PC charities they said they could not find enough homes for them

Don't forget to take the magnets out of the hard drives before you bin them. :wink: They are probably worth more than the old PCs. :roll:

Cheers,

Trev.

Might well convert one into a good solid firewall and another into a print server...but then again..maybe not...as it will eat what little spare time I have for wood whittling :lol:

good to keep the one, load all the HD's into this machine and use for playing mp3's. I'm after an old machine that no-one wants for that reason :wink:

Andy

Latest posts

Back