Can anyone top this act of stupidity?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackswanwood

Still Learning
Reaction score
575A4B39-783F-4A4B-B05D-C5C67F170B58.jpeg

Everything was lined up on the bandsaw to cut the top off a jewellery box when my phone rang. I put the box down, take the call, pick the box back up but am still thinking about the conversation I have just had and cut the bottom rather than the top off.

Aaaaaaaargh.

Beat that!

Attachments

• 575A4B39-783F-4A4B-B05D-C5C67F170B58.jpeg
    575A4B39-783F-4A4B-B05D-C5C67F170B58.jpeg
    109.8 KB · Views: 466
The bottom is slightly recessed and has no inlay so just turning upside down doesn’t work. Am considering various design features as suggested by Rorschach ... I fear it may be destined for firewood though!

Could you glue it back together and have some form of plinth covering the join and below.

Or replicate the banding on the cut and on the cut lid?

Looks like you've just made a secret compartment!
Those Roentgen cabinets looks like lots of head scratching.

I bet the air turned blue after that #-o It's a lovely looking box so I'm sure you have the know-wots to rescue it.

I was cutting a box open on the table saw I did the first cut looked at it to check the depth of cut, and ran the other side checked again and realised I had put the bottom against the fence so one side had a cut a third down the other two thirds.

Pete

I fixed it with a hammer.

A year back I made a simple box to hold some small tools. I glued it all together then realised I had not marked which was the top and which was the bottom. That moment when it dawned on me that I didn't know which to cut just cracked me up and I must have laughed for several minutes before I was able to take a chance with the cut. Of course I picked wrong and cut the bottom off instead of the top. Still, it was a useful lesson and, being a box for my own use in the workshop it didn't matter very much.

Would trimming the TOP of a door off to adjust for the newly fitted carpet count ?

(fortunately cheapo thing destined to be replaced anyway)

Thanks guys. After much deliberation I have concluded it is firewood. I can get to a usable box but it will look naff.

A lesson learned and a yellow card from my wife as apparently she didn’t know I knew quite so many swear words!

Thanks also for the examples - they didn’t make me feel any better but I did laugh at the door one.

Cheers

Could have been worse, could have put phone through the bandsaw. Interesting insurance claim .... and exactly how did it happen sir?

See that slip of lace wood/london plane about 2/3 of the way down?
Guess why that's there. :roll:
7N6PUrS.jpg

My friend dropped his phone down the toilet. He duly claimed on his insurance, and when the girl asked how the accident happened, he said it was on the window ledge when he was washing the dishes and he accidentally knocked it off. A moments silence and girl said it's OK, sir you can tell the truth - you dropped it down the toilet, didn't you? He laughed and said yes, actually you're right. I thought I would be, she said, we get more of those claims than any other. I don't know how she would have reacted to a bandsawn one, though. :D

I made my first bookshelf with the top tenon with not enough clearance for the tallest books, so had to take it out lol they now fit as originally intended.

Today. Working on turning a largish amount of salvaged pine (10×2) into a very chunky bedframe, planed and jointed two edges, marked for biscuits, cut the biscuit slots test fit then glue and clamp.
Hmmm thats funny, they lined up perfect with no gap before.........
Oh wait, the big triangle i marked to identify which was the face side isnt right.....
Yep, at some point I've spun one of the planks and not noticed.

It will get filled, there's enough in contact, its the head board end and its beneath the mattress height. No one will ever know....

Back