Can anyone tell me more about CORBET lathes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pipster

Established Member
Reaction score
A friend of ours has recently moved into a house and the old man who previously occupied it has left the contents of his garage for them to do as they please with. She has offeredx me (for free) a wood lathe which is at the back of the garage behind loads of junk. I went to have a look today but could only see part of it through all the junk and scrap. It looks like a good full size workshop lathe its a bit rusty and will need cleaning up and restoring and I couldnt see the headstock close up but the tail stock runs on tubular bars and it has its own stand and is painted green like the old steam engine paint. the make is CORBET , couldnt see any model type but it has a distinct "traditional" look about it and I am quite excited at getting it and I am looking forward to renovating it. I can't find any references to it on the net (only Corbett engineering lathes) and wondered if any other members could shed any light on it ?

are you sure it's not CORONET..... colour, form and twin bars would all suggest a Coronet

jumps":26jm5ote said:
are you sure it's not CORONET..... colour, form and twin bars would all suggest a Coronet

Quite possibly could be..it was covered in dust and quite gloomy in there so I may have misread the name.. assuming it IS a coronet. Do you recon I've dropped on here or what ?

Pipster":u5qdl60c said:
jumps":u5qdl60c said:

Quite possibly could be..it was covered in dust and quite gloomy in there so I may have misread the name.. assuming it IS a coronet. Do you recon I've dropped on here or what ?

If I understood the question I might be able to answer better!

However, some more info....

Coronet are identical to the later Record Power CL range - you can download a .pdf of the manual for the CL3 and it's it's identical to the manual for the Coronet No 3. No 0, 1 or 2 also exist with differences in the number of pulleys, motor power, swivel headstock (or not) and bearings.

Spares are easy to come by. Headstock and tailstock are 1MT, spindle is 3/4" x 16 and pretty well supported - fair number of chucks etc out there will fit.

Find out which it is - a lot of people on here have, or have had, one (or more) of the models.

Coronet were a fore runner of Record I believe. Anyway they are good solid lathes if a little limited in speed etc. I think some versions had a rotating head but nevertheless worth having and doing up IMHO if only as a 2nd lathe.

Pete

I am a newbie and I have recently bought a record cl1 and in all honesty it is a lovely machine, nice and solid and has the benefit of having a swivelling head stock (not that I will be using that for a while).

The only criticism that I have is that it is quite limited with the speed variation, but that's not a big deal really!

Back