Can anyone remember....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hudson Carpentry

Established Member
Reaction score
A thread about design and copyright laws. A discussion went on that I remember reading that someone had copied someones design. There was some info in there about design copyright which I wish to read. I have made a product to which a company is now asking me where I got the concept from as its looks similar to one of there designs, not the same but similar. There not threatening legal action but are asking about my other products and dates when I came up with mine etc.

Although I have not copied any design or even knew about there product when I made mine, I wish to know where I stand before I either tell them to do one (if they do threaten legal or ask me to remove it) or tell them OK and remove my product from the range. There product wasn't patented when I was made aware of there product.

Rather than sift through old threads, I strongly recommend that you study the UK-based advice on the Intellectual Property office website - http://www.ipo.gov.uk/.

In my opinion, discussions around these issues generally get confused by half-truths, misguided references to US law, and wishful thinking!

Back