CAN ANYONE RECOMMEND A POWERFUL DUST EXTRACTION SOLUTION?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magor

Reaction score
Hi All
I currently have a ducted solution in my workshop. It’s a 150mm main duct with various branches for each machine and reducers down to 100mm. I have a table saw, bandsaw, sanding station, planer/thicknesser, spindle moulder and lathe connected. I know that is a lot but each machine has it’s own blast gate. I know there is still some loss of suction based on number of gates, length of duct, etc so I want to oversize the extraction to compensate.

Motor is currently an older Fercell unit that is single phase so I’m guessing around 1.5hp max. It’s just not enough. If you know of anything MUCH better then i would appreciate your advice.

Thanks

While the 1.5hp motor is definitely too small yor real limitation is the reduction to the 100mm pipes. The 150mm can handle three times as much flow as the 100mm so the ducting and machine ports needs upgrading too. Without knowing the size of your shop, lengths of the ducts, the available power, space for the DC and your goals (visible or fine dust) any recommendations by anyone is difficult at best.

Pete

My set up was not so much designed as driven by what I could accumulate at the time.
30m2 shop arranged 10 x 3m with a pipe run down each side and drops each with a blast gate to each machine generating a mix of dust and shavings. All inlet pipework 110mm soil & 100mm flexible tails. Home brew cyclone with 100mm dust inlet and 150mm suction from a 14" blower and 3hp motor. All in all pretty satisfactory. Possibly only 2-3 blockages in about 14 years.

Think about flow and vacuum as you would voltage and current. You get max vacuum at zero flow and maximum flow with zero vacuum. Bottom line. There is no substitute for power. You can muck around with pipe sizes, but all you do is change the flow/vacuum ratio. Get the biggest vacuum pump you can run on your power supply.

I'm in the same boat as the OP - except I haven't done the ductwork yet. Thats next weeks project, but I'll be using a 150mm main run with 125mm drops.

My current extractor is an ancient Axminster model with 1500cbm airflow. I very much doubt it'll cut the mustard (although I will try it just in case). So, to the point, from all my searching it seems that the the two best options are;

https://www.scosarg.com/itech-dc3000-1- ... ph-mde-hcs with 3000 cbm (floppy top, M rated)
https://www.axminstertools.com/axminste ... tor-508336 2250 cbm (1 micron filter + 4 m hose)

Scott & Sargeant told me they have the smaller filter in stock but not the large one and their figures are for the bag filter. Axminsters figures include the 1 micron filter + 4m hose at the 175mm outlet.

The Felder units have decent figures but the cost is Felderish. If you have 3ph available there a few Felder AF22s on ebay right now.

Thanks for responses. Anyone recommend a good source/manufacturer for the motor?

Motor makes are irrelevant really. You will need a two pole one to get the speed needed and single or 3 phase according to the power system into your workshop.

Back