Can anyone recommend a good mid price range jack plane?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tetsuaiga

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello.

I'm looking at buying one of these. I think the most i'd want to really spend is max 100 pounds on one.

Can anyone recommend me a good model in this price range. I've been looking at second hand ones but havent had too much luck yet. I was looking for one of the really old stanley no. 5 models but cant find one at the moment.

Thank you.

The most thorough way to search for an old one would be to start with Alf's ever-useful list of old tool dealers - http://www.cornishworkshop.co.uk/tooldealers.html - phone round some of them and explain what you are looking for. You'll be able to talk to someone who knows more than 'I found it in a shed and it says number 5 on it.' If you buy one and it's not what you want you can send it back - that's something that they are all obliged to let you do now, but will have done as part of sensible policy for years anyway.

Hi Tetsuaiga, I am having to sell off a lot of my tools and I know I have Stanley 51/2 Type 10 IIRC, I'd need to check.If you're interested PM me.
chris

I do seem to be hearing quite a lot of good reviews of the Quangsheng, though some people complain about copyright abuse. I think having some patience with ebay could well pay off though, i'm also going to get a no7 plane so i'll give things some time and thought. The tooldealers looks interesting too.

Soulboy, i don't think im looking for a 5 1/2 right now but thanks anyway, I may consider it.

Thank you for the replies.

Copyright abuse? - Thats laughable!

Premium planes were based on old designs but better built

Quangsheng planes are based on Premium designs but cheaper built.

Way of the world.

Cheers John, I picked up a Type 13 no 4 at the same time from the same seller.

I have tuned both up and they perform nicely.

He had a Type 13 No 6 that went unsold at £40 in as good a condition!

Too bad I didn't have enough for all three #-o

the new ones are probably in worse shape than the used- unless you pay for the LN, veritas etc.

IIRC blister had one that he was willing to sell. It may have been sold, but could be worth a pm

No.7? 1950's ish - maybe a bit earlier.(a guesstimate) The rosewood dates it to an extent. I've got a no.8 that looks very similar, but it's got a laminated iron, although Marples irons are o.k. (I've got a Marples no.7).
Anyway, enough boasting for one day.

I asked them about the no.7. They said almost certainly a type 19 made between 1948 and 1961. Are these any good?

I think I read the best ones were made before world war one? Not sure how hard these are to come by. I'm considering getting descentish new one as i'm not really too confident about trying to tune up and old one myself, especially not no7 length.

Back