Can anyone here help me with pneumatics?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lord Kitchener

Established Member
Reaction score
I am making up a piece of equipment and part of it is a requirement for an air-operated clamp (to hold the piece of wood in position while the operation is carried out on it). I think I only need a clamping force of around 20 lbs or maybe 10 Kg, and ideally I would be able to apply a rubber end to the piston to provide a decent grip (as the push on the wood from the tool will be at right angles to the piston).

I would like to be able to operate it with a foot control. I have a 1.5HP compressor already.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

What is it that your not sure about? you can get every thing you need from the bay, foot switches tend to be pricey though.

Chrispy":q3a8o9x4 said:
What is it that your not sure about?

Which is the best sort of cylinder to get, what sort of pressure I should I be thinking of running, do I need single or double acting, that sort of thing.

I should add that I am willing and able to read up on the subject, if anyone can direct me to a good source of info. Ebay sellers and the like tend to assume that people looking at their stuff already know the subject (which in most cases I am sure they do).

The stuff that I use all seems to be OK running at up to 100 psi which means that if you can reduce the pressure then you have quite a bit of control adjusting to suit the job in hand.
If you go for single acting cylinders then make sure they have spring returns or some means of opening your clamp.
The control valves are proberly the hardest bit to get cheaply, make sure it has three/two ports then it will work with single or double acting cylinders, then connect it all up with plastic push fit fittings.

Back