Can anyone help me identify this Rail and Stile bit?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tocaliteb

Reaction score
I'm trying to make some rail and stile doors with this profile . The rails and stiles are 20mm thick.

At first I thought it was an ogee style bit, but I think it's more likely to be a roundover bit but in reverse.

Can anyone tell me which router bit would give me this profile?

Many thanks.

That is unusual, I've never seen a reverse ovolo profile and scribe like that used on a door before.

It might've been done with custom spindle moulder knives rather than a router bit.

Looks the same as mine which is a standard router set, you’ll have to zoom into see it

021B9515-7B68-4500-84AA-5EA8618F0B4E.jpeg

looks to me like it was done with a rebate plane and a round

I'm trying to make some rail and stile doors with this profile . The rails and stiles are 20mm thick.

At first I thought it was an ogee style bit, but I think it's more likely to be a roundover bit but in reverse.

Can anyone tell me which router bit would give me this profile?

Many thanks.

That's a 'cavetto' moulding. You can get router bits eg from Wealden Tools - bearing guided probably. As has been said, you could use a half round bit after a rebate bit. Cheers, W2S

It might be a spindle moulding cutter, try looking at numbers around 136/8 in the 40 X 4 range of Wealden spindle cutters.

Trevanion and Woody - thank you so much. I'll follow up with a couple of bit manufacturers to see if they can advise the corresponding scribe (I assume an ovolo).

Thanks to everyone who helped out.

I might be wrong - I haven't tried to work it out in detail - but I think that the symmetry of the profile should allow you to use the same bit upside down for the scribe cuts.

Back