can anyone explain in plain laymen language new You Tube agreement terms

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
I read the terms of service issued by You tube starting 1st June 21, but honestly I could not understand the changes.
Anyone here, can they give me an easy lowdown on what it all means (to an 80+ pensioner who looks at YT a lot and downloads there content ) ? And what has changed.

Just agree and carry on.

Who has the time or inclination to read online agreements.

I tend to agree with artie, devonwoody.

Although it sticks in my throat to just "accept unread" any contract (it goes absolutely against all my business training), the reality is - I think - that as a private individual no one is even going to reply to you if you query/disagree with anything you find. Also, they are not going to change anything "just for you or me"; and even if you do understand the technology and legalese fully, there will still be so many loopholes in there that they are going to use your data, like it or not.

So you have 2 choices (IMO):

A) just accept their new agreement and shut up and "enjoy" the service, or;

B) don't accept and stop using the service.

To my "shame" (!!!) I've just adopted option A). And the same with WhatsApp BTW (the only bit of social media I use, but very useful for free international calls, etc, since MS have completely screwed Skype up).

HTH

Last edited:
You will have the US tax on royalties and payments recieved from YouTube activities withheld by YouTube and pass on the rest to you.

If anyone has noticed, cookies on unrelated sites, or any sites no matter what they are or what they're for are linked to you tube.
Newspapers, ebay, etc etc all want you to accept their cookies, which include cookies to you tube. This will be for advertising or such, in order to target sales, ads or whatever directly to you.
The cookies also include software that makes the identification of your computer and phone or any other devices you own to be collected into a 'virtual wallet' or in depth file if you want to cal it that.

Amendemnts in YT T&C'S are more than likely geared that way. To identify who you are, where you are, what you like, who you know, and where you spend your money.

I'm not at all surprised at what Triton says above.

Re Cornish Woodworker's comments, when I said above "I just shut up and enjoy the service" I was referring to simply watching the stuff which interests me. I was NOT referring to those who post on YT (I've never done that and never will).

From what I can see most people who only watch videos will not really notice a change but people who have videos on youtube that they have not set to be monetised could still have adverts placed on their videos and will not receive any payment.

As someone who makes poor videos and figures a fair exchange for watchers is not turning on ads.

Back