can anybody id this timber???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a thought.. have you tried cutting it? If so, what does it smell like?
Have to agree with Philly though - my first thought was red cedar.

By the way hello to all in the forum. Just joined and from what i've seen so far it looks pretty good.Helpful.Informative.Just what i need really.So, hope to speak to you all soon and thanks for a great site, all at UKworkshop!!

Cheers.
Gary :D

Welcome to the forum, Gary. :D

Well I'm none the wiser, and not just 'cos the pics have gone AWOL on me again either :roll: I agree, we need feedback on smell and also a resin rating.

Cheers, Alf

Gary & Alf,

Right, canny recall any smell when cutting but will go down to the shop soonest and have a sniff. Resin wise, it cuts like a white hardwood, no resin visible on wood or cutting edges. I've sanded it, planed it, sawed it etc and no resin build-up. Will report back on the sniff test.

Rgds

Noel

larch?

He said preserving his anonymity so as not to be thought foolish.

Roy

(oops)

Looks a little like douglas fir from the grain picture has a lovely smell when you machine it

Hi, Noely,

Looks to me as though it may be that occasionally found species called driftwood! :roll: Prevailing tidal flows at the time of finding might help you source it. :shock: Resin probably all washed out.

Sorry, couldn't resist it. Can't add to the suggestions you already have - hope you find the answer.

Cheers, Trev.

If it cuts like a white hardwood, it could be sycamore or a nice piece of straight-grained maple. The grain pattern on the straight (left) edge of the milled piece together with the clean, close grain and darker area on the right suggests one of the Acers to me.
Is it particularly heavy?

Steve (just realising I've not logged in but never mind eh?)

Latest posts

Back