can anybody id this timber???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noel

Staff member
Reaction score
Found a large log (about 14" thick) of timber on the beach about 10 years ago. Thought I'd keep it and use it sometime. Anyway, cut and planed it last night. Just wondered what sort of soft wood it was. Some species of pine etc? Straight grained and has a nice bronze hue with a hint of red (as in redwood), although perhaps the seawater has had some effect on it.
Hope the image is clear enough.
f8dd05ed.jpg

Rgds

Noel

It appears the image took a short time to publish on Noely's ISP. Showing fine now :D
But I don't know what this wood is :cry:

Yep, image has gone, and it was there earlier Help.....

Rgds

Noel

It's back again...Adam?

Alf, try copying the link, open a new browser window and paste the URL in the address field, can you see ?

Yep, tried that. Just get Forbidden. Very odd, 'cos I did that initially when I couldn't see Noel's pic and it worked fine. Something to do with Imagestation's bandwidth allowance?

Cheers, Alf

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /picture/sraid114/pf9aa82a33d4ed55967d8aa4e92094a18/f8dd05ed.jpg on this server.

Me too. Won't let me see it.

I started using www.pbase.com - but this is a paid for service. I like it 'cos it's soo hassle (and banner) and advertising free.

I got fed up with problems such as montly bandwidth being used up - or servers offline - or (mainly) these sites invariably take copyright of your images if you read the small print carefully.

Adam

Works for me doing CYC's method, and having cached it, it appears in the forum topic too...

Oh, and now it doesn't work...

NeilCFD

Noely, I popped the image which my browser cached earlier onto my UploadIt account so that you can finally start getting some answers to your question - hope you don't mind!

Here is the elusive mystery image:

neilcfd-f8dd05ed.jpg

NeilCFD

It appears to be a very nice quartersawn something or other! How wide is the piece? the rings look closely spaced - you don't find that in new wood these days

Dunno, but it looks a dead ringer for the pic of Whitewood/white deal/ Norwegian spruce/Silver fir in World Woods in Colour. But then the pics in WWinC are easily its weakest point... :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Alf,

You're maybe not too far away on the Nordic theme. I just haven't seen such close grained and nice coloured softwood before. I'll take a better picture and TRY and post again, since I need the practice.

Rgds

Noel

Right then, last try.
This is the log cut in half with a chainsaw and next to it is a milled piece.
f8dc9937.jpg

This is a picture of the grain
f8dc992f.jpg

Back