Can anybody beat this for old equipment

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cabinetman

Established Member
Reaction score
Frank Horton suggested this topic and I took a picture today of my old morticer, I was gifted it 45 years ago and yes it’s a bit worn but it does perfectly good work, there is one mounted on the wall outside where I buy my equipment, identical but doesn’t have a motor you just chop down to cut the joints, I think mine was the same but then somebody put a motor on it. There isn’t a name on it, I estimate its age at about the turn of the century?

455260DD-1892-4BAD-B7FE-545157A3689F.jpeg
6B282E58-B4BB-43FF-B1F7-5A9A22CD1458.jpeg

Dead right Sammy, my original workshop when this arrived was upstairs! It was in a really bad condition and we stripped it right down and painted it in black hammeriite which was all the rage at the time, if it hadn’t have been in bits I don’t think we would’ve ever got it upstairs, so yours is the original – sorry I don’t know of the term – chop mortice? How do you get on with that? And when do you think it was made? And I’m getting my money‘s worth of questions here ha ha is there a name on yours? Ian

Haha bm, yes you certainly went through it with that one, it’s so similar but obviously a different make, the bottom half is very similar indeed but just not quite the same, are you still using yours?

I'd say unequivocally that is the exact same base that's on BM101's Reynolds morticer, from what I can see every casting detail is identical! It wasn't totally uncommon for these machines to get retro-fitted with a new column and powered heads in the early twentieth century.

This is my baby:

GBadLZV.jpg

A fairly early Sedgwick 571, circa 1960 or so. This thing will keep going even after the nuclear hellfire, there isn't a single thing on it to go wrong!

I also did this one up for a bit of fun recently:

ZTO5vpQ.jpg

Multico Model K also circa around 1960, very nice machine and built well but I still think I prefer the Sedgwick over it.

Here's one in my to-do queue, its a Metalclad, made inNeath Wales. They became a subsidiary of the 600 group in 1947, and seemed to have ceased trading in 1953 so between those dates as it has a 600 group tag on it. So not as early as the original post, but has many similarities.

image_144502.jpg

Cheers
Andy

Andy toolsntat, there are some lovely old castings on there. It’s almost artistic the way they were sculpted. Which is good as the flowing lines help prevent fractures. Very nice.
Farmer Andy, Nice machine when you get it going again, just after the war, I bet it’s put some work in, in its time. All that New century contemporary stuff. Ian

Hi Jerome, I don’t think so as his pre-dates hollow chisels, the chisel bits for his machine just look like very substantial hand chisels. Ian

I presume you’re talking electrical equipment as I’ve loads of hand operated tools that predate this the oldest power drill I’ve used
0857E9B6-223A-45D6-B933-C6B5DFF539E0.jpeg

How do you get on with that? And when do you think it was made? And I’m getting my money‘s worth of questions here ha ha is there a name on yours? Ian
Hi Ian. Regretably, the behemoth still resides in my garage, untouched, but looked forward to. I'll explain why to you in a P.M. - sorry, "conversation".
Dating? Maker? Will have a shufti and photos later.

Sam

I presume you’re talking electrical equipment as I’ve loads of hand operated tools that predate this the oldest power drill I’ve used

That brings back memories - my dad had something similar (pretty sure it was Black and Decker though) and I remember him mourning it’s passing in the late seventies.

Yes I remember those drills well, had one for years. I also remember a government advert warning from the time showing somebody using one and he had jammed the wires into the socket on the wall using matches and the Earth wire came out and the guy got electrocuted. Pretty shocking stuff!
Happened to me with an electric fire, the Earth and the live wires were the wrong way round in the plug, it was stood on a stone hearth which earthed it until I picked it up, I was only 14 but had the presence of mind to throw the fire breaking my grip on it. Most unpleasant. Ian

One of my late fathers RS 10’s , seems to date from around 1936 ( my choiceas it was the year he was born) but from Wallaces site info is pretty accurate4A2EEAE0-084E-45E1-A9FE-D7AF00920863.jpegF0396D53-79B4-4F1D-8D2B-A5C1A5862A2B.jpeg

Came across this old advert, you could convert your drill into a lathe and then put a sawblade on it, sander, polisher, grinder. They were the days- not.
0A557E3D-A20A-459D-9400-7FC4CEA0AE61.png

Latest posts

Back