Camvac GV286w - change from 2.5" inlet to 4" inlet? Help!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlie Woody

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have a Camvac GV286 w, (wall mounted) twin motor extractor which has a 2.5" inlet. Recently I got a 100mm (4") cyclone from Chems of Cyclone Central thinking that I could change the 2.5" inlet to a 4" inlet so that when I run from the cyclone to the planer / thicknesser and to the table saw there will not be a change in hose diameter. Hopefully this will improve the suction.

I would then use a shorter piece of 100mm hose with reducers to 63mm for the Woodrat and 63mm then 38mm for the router table.

I decided to check with Camvac for any instructions to do this change over and they said : The new 4” inlet will be a straight inlet on your machine as the drum is too narrow for it to have a cyclonic inlet.

The 4” inlet hole will need to be in the same position as the 2.5” inlet you have currently so as to completely cover any open areas. We tend to seal and rivet the inlet to the drum.

So now I am in wondering if this means that the suction of my unit will disimprove if I change the inlet?

Should I keep the 2.5" inlet or change to the 4" inlet?

To say that I am confused would be putting it mildly :? :? :?

When it comes to techy stuff I am so dim #-o

Could somebody that knows about dust extraction please help me decide what to do?

Sorry I have tried to understand but you have the advantage of knowing what you are trying to do.

It sounds like camvac may have misunderstood your question.

Why not try it and see?

Bob

I would do as Bob suggested?
The problem with the narrower pipe on the Camvac would be chippings getting stuck when using a P/T.
Using a 4" pipe to the cyclone from you P/T should work as all/most of the chippings should finish up in the cyclone drum.
The twin motor Camvac even with the small connection to the cyclone should provide enough suck?

Rod

Bob & Rod

Many thanks for your replies.

The reason that I have not done it yet is that I may have to enlarge the hole in the side of the drum for the 4" inlet; so if it does not work then I cannot change back to the 2.5" inlet as the hole in the drum will be too big.

I am sorry that I have not made myself clear in my original post. Let me try again please.

My Camvac has 2.5" inlet. My P/T & TS have 4" outlets. My Woodrat has 2.5" outlet & router table fence has 38mm outlet. I have a 4" inlet and outlet Cyclone Central cyclone.

I thought it would be better to have as much continuous run of 4" hose as possible and reduce down close to the smaller outlets for the Woodrat & router table.

Camvac initially told me it was possible to fit a 4" inlet but when I raised a query about how to do this a couple of days ago they told me about it being a straight inlet and I would therefore lose the cyclonic effect of their extractor.

So which would be better .... (a) keep the 2.5" inlet on the Camvac using a reducer to connect the 4" hose from the Cyclone or (b) change the inlet to 4" on the Camvac losing it's cyclonic effect, connect with 4" hose to the Cyclone and from it to the P/T, ST and using reducers as close as possible to the Woodrat and router table?

Hopefully I have now made myself a bit clearer .... if not please let me know.

Does this change your views please?

You are using a Cyclone Central cyclone anyway so you don't need the Camvac to be cyclonic....

Should you sell the Canvac without the cyclone it might be a problem, otherwise, who cares but you? Fit the 4" inlet and be happy with a working extractor and separate cyclone :)

Fair point Jensmith. Thanks.

So ignoring the loss of Camvac cyclonic action which of my options (a) or (b) would be best?

I'm not an expert on extractors.... I don't really know the answer to that one.

It would seem that 4" throughout prevents pipes getting blocked up when using the P/T etc but what is most important is whether you wan't to cut a hole in your Camvac or not.

This is the difficult question for me!

I am prepared to cut the hole if it will improve the suction that I get. At the moment the Camvac can't clear the dust from the TS ..... 2.5" inlet immediately increased to take 4" hose to the TS and Cyclone Central not yet fitted.

So still not sure what I should do!

Not sure if it will help but I have a twin motor Record Power DX5000 with a 4" port. I have this connected directly to a 2.5"piped network which includes my TS and Router table. Extraction is good with no blocking and I also have a 4" pipe that I substitute and connect it to my P/T as 2.5" does not clear the chops from the P/T.

I got the 63mm (2.5") cyclone from Chems however I ran into problems with the cyclone collapsing due to the power of the DX5000 and the air resistance of the pipe network. Not sure if the 100mm cyclone would fair any better but do be careful.

The older Camvac didn't have the cyclonic input - which I think is the pipe entering at at angle?
My old SE 386W had a 2.5" inlet entering squarely to the drum but it could not cope with my P/T so I bought Record DX 5000.
Before hacking your camvac I would try the 2.5" link to the cyclone first then take from there?

Rod

Back