Camvac - design fault or just plain cheap?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harlequin

Established Member
Reaction score

found the filter paper bag on the camvac nearly tearing when I was emptying it
the plastic horizontal pieces had all cracked and come away due to the enormous suction
will have to now sort something to re-create the mesh so the paper bag does not get sucked right into the motor

anyone else have the same problem

Hello Harlequin,

I would make touch with Camvac and see what they say. I can't remember having this issue with my machines, and in the few times I have been over to the factory in Fakenham, for advice, accessories etc I have always found the staff there to be helpful.

Good luck, Tony.

Yes, it is a cheap part and not up to the job, I complained to Camvac and they sent me 2 new ones.

There is a company who were selling metal replacement cages and a paper hepa filter drum bag to replace the cloth one, they last a lot longer. I have sent the person I dealt with an email to see if they still do them if so I will let you know.

john

jpt":2iftv3hx said:
Yes, it is a cheap part and not up to the job, I complained to Camvac and they sent me 2 new ones.

There is a company who were selling metal replacement cages and a paper hepa filter drum bag to replace the cloth one, they last a lot longer. I have sent the person I dealt with an email to see if they still do them if so I will let you know.

john

thanks john

will speak with the camvac guys

Harlequin":f0imr96m said:

found the filter paper bag on the camvac nearly tearing when I was emptying it
the plastic horizontal pieces had all cracked and come away due to the enormous suction
will have to now sort something to re-create the mesh so the paper bag does not get sucked right into the motor

anyone else have the same problem

I just drafted this:

You seem to be missing the inner cloth filters. Whether that is Camvac's fault, your fault, or someone else's fault I don't know, but it is not a design fault as the paper filters are not meant to be used on their own, but as the intermediary layer between the outer and inner cloth filters.

But before posting it, I see two other people have had the same issue with their Camvacs so I am confused as to whether Camvac have varied their design, routinely forgot to ship the inner cloth filters, or what..

This problem occurs when the filter bags and cloth filters are clogged and in extreme case completely crushes and melts the plastic and shreds the cloth filters. In some I have only seen it where the filters have been left for ages and ages without cleaning. I have a cyclone and an interceptor on my set up and haven't changed the filters for a year but there are almost like new still.

I do have the cloth filter under the paper filter
It is as Russell says methinks - I too use a cyclone and the bags /filter were not clogged

Funnily enough I discovered exactly the same thing last weekend, though all I did was wrap a 10mm wide cable tie round it & put a new paper filter on.

I use a cyclone & have for 5 or so years, but the chap I bought new filters from on the Camvac stall at Cressing told me the paper filter should be changed every 25 hours of use. This definitely hasn`t been the case with my filter which looked very tired & so is more then likely the reason my plastic bits broke off.

Cheers.

I have had a camvac 286 floor standing for a couple of months and am quite impressed with its performance but it does all seem a bit Heath Robinson doesn't it. Paper bags held on by elastic bands.

Russell":p2pemngj said:
This problem occurs when the filter bags and cloth filters are clogged and in extreme case completely crushes and melts the plastic and shreds the cloth filters. In some I have only seen it where the filters have been left for ages and ages without cleaning. I have a cyclone and an interceptor on my set up and haven't changed the filters for a year but there are almost like new still.

sorry to jump on thread :oops:
could you plz give me more info on your setup as thinking of buying a camvac very soon

I had the same problem with my Camvac and got new ones from them direct. Did cost £5 each though a few years ago.

I put it down to the filters being clogged and the vacuum pressure crushing the plastic casings. They already had plastic fatigue on the bits when I got it (2nd hand) and some were broken but I didn't realise they were broken to start with as I thought that was the design.

My new ones have lasted ok though you can see the plastic bits have been sucked in a bit and bent.

My Camvac is about 8 years old and doesn't have the cage initially refered to. Instead mine is a brown paper bag held on by a rubber band, crude & simple, yes but I have had it since new and no problems.

sorry to jump on thread :oops:
could you plz give me more info on your setup as thinking of buying a camvac very soon

I run a GV286 twin motor unit with 2 1/2" port, this is connected to an oneida dust deputy cyclone with a 45lt collector drum underneath I run 2 1/2" plastic pipe on a fixed system with take offs for my lathe , band saw and power tool point. On my lathe I use flexible pipe attached to a microphone stand so I can easily change its position, my band saw has extraction points 1 under table and the other on the back of the machine. If I get my camera sorted I will try and post some pics for you.

Harlequin":9p110ind said:
I do have the cloth filter under the paper filter

Oh OK, it was this bit which threw me out:

Harlequin":9p110ind said:

Which I thought meant there was some sort of new plastic mesh arrangement on the frame and paper straight over the top of that, because otherwise I couldn't see either how the plastic frame could tear the paper filter through the inner cloth filter which sits between them, or how the paper bag could be sucked through the cloth filter into the motor - the inner cloth one might be but that would stop the paper one being sucked in. I still can't tbh.

It is the same arrangement still - plastic frame over which goes first (small) cloth filter, over which goes paper bag, and then the whole motor/filter gubbins sits inside the third (big, cloth) filter which fits on the top of the bin?

Apologies if I am being dense, I blame a lack of sleep.

Jake":296jcxv7 said:
Harlequin":296jcxv7 said:
It is the same arrangement still - plastic frame over which goes first (small) cloth filter, over which goes paper bag, and then the whole motor/filter gubbins sits inside the third (big, cloth) filter which fits on the top of the bin?
That's what my two month old one is like. Crude but effective.

jpt":enje9ud1 said:

john

Still not heard back from him looks like he has gone out of buisness, or on holiday.

john

Back