Camvac cyclone related problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jensmith

Established Member
Reaction score
I am having an issue where my cloth filter in my camvac is getting clogged very quickly with dust.

I have a Camvac cyclone bin which collects the large chips and dust but the other day I could see that although the cyclone bin wasn't 'that' full there was dust being sucked out of the cyclone and into my main extractor bin.

It's the 386 triple motor camvac but I only use 2 motors in general. It's becoming a bit of an issue as the fine dust is getting through to the paper filter bags covering the motors in one use and you're supposed to replace them when they have visible dust on them...

I am generating a lot of fine dust rather than bigger chips from the nature of what I do and I was also cutting plastic which I guess also produces finer dust.

The thing is, I'm assuming it's down to the cyclone bin having shavings and dust in it but how do you know when to empty it? It was only about 6 inches of dust and shavings in a big 90L green bin so it hardly seems a lot?

Is this just the norm and I need to empty the cyclone bin more often or is the cyclone not working properly?

Jennifer,

I think it is a duff designed cyclone, to be honest. Have you tried running with just one motor?

i have to confess that I've never quite understood how fine dust deposits itself in the bottom of a cyclone...gut feel says that it floats along in the breeze, as it were.

Thanks Roger. One motor doesn't provide enough suck for the bandsaw which is what I'm generally using.

I must admit, it does look like a different type of cyclone to those I've seen elsewhere but I can't deny the fact that there is very little in the main extractor drum apart from a covering of fine dust round the bin. However, the coating of thick dust on the cloth bag is a problem....

Camvac are not really a cyclone they just have an intake that is supposed to cause rotation of the debris and separation it does not work well. However I run a twin 286 camvac with an oned dust deputy cylone and collector before the intake of the camvac and most if not all the dust and debris are separated before the camvac and the cloth filter has only been changed and cleaned once in 6 months very happy with it. So my advice is buy or build a proper cylcone and use the camvac to power it. My system runs on 2 /12" extraction pipe and extracts of a lathe, bandsaw and then other smaller machines

Hi Russell. Thanks very much, it's good to know what should be happening, however Camvac have changed their system. They used to do a proper separate bin as a cyclone rather than the new system where it is all contained in the one extractor bin and isn't really a proper cyclone like you say. I have the separate bin and I thought it was doing an ok job but now I'm not at all convinced so I may have to look at either improving it or doing something different.

Perhaps I should take some photos of the cyclone bin so I can get some advice on that.

I have the twin motor 386 which provides plenty of suck. Try using an Axminster Extender Lid in front of it (with a couple of 90deg elbows inside) on top of a large water butt. I've just checked mine this morning and after producing nearly half a butt full of chip pings from Elm Cabinet III timber, all that was in the Camvac was around a litres worth or so of fine dust...empty that, shake out the bag (nothing on the cloth filters) re-assemble and away you go :D Yes, it's not a true cyclone, but it's a cheap and easy way to get something that's almost as good - Rob

Back