Camphor Laurel with embellishments

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hughie

Established Member
Reaction score
I have several CL blanks that look to be a bit plain. So I thought I might try a little embellishment to give it some character.
5"X7" finished with Danish Oil.

Attachments

• woodfast 057.jpg
    woodfast 057.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 1,024
  • woodfast 062.jpg
    woodfast 062.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 1,024
  • woodfast 063.jpg
    woodfast 063.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 1,025
Looks like good control on the spacing and forming of the flutes, shows a lot of commitment during the finishing rather than just a quick spin on the lathe.

doesn't look that plain to me!

I like both the underlying form and the fluting; and they certainly add to the overall apeal.

Code:
I would be interested to hear how the flutes were done[/quote]

rocket science, its all rocket science :)

CL is a very soft wood and very easy to turn and carve. Marked them out on the lathe with a compass and pencil. Used a Dremel with a Archer carving attachment, files and sandpaper.

envy you being able to get decent sizes of Camphor Laurel, it is fairly expensive in the UK!

Very easy to come by here as its been declared as a noxious weed. This tree was 1.2m in dia with a main trunk about 5m long. I managed to get about a tonne before it was wood chipped.

I bet your workshop had a lovely smell when you did that!
!

Yep the smell is very powerful at times, clears the sinuses and seems to have effect on the insect population in the shed as well, which is good

Latest posts

Back