Campervan pop-top security

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris152

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a pop-top fitted to my van (VW T5). In summer, I want to be able to leave it open sometimes in busy car parks while I'm not there for an hour or two, to keep cool so I can leave my dog inside safely (airflow, cool).
Clearly, with canvas sides, it won't be safe from break-ins. So I was wondering if it might be an option to rig something up inside to lock the top partially open and the canvas open, so it's not possible to climb in through the gap but allows for airflow. If I could make such a lock, would it damage the gas struts to be held partially open like that?
So, like this but only 1/4 open:
pop-top.jpg

I was thinking of a metal rod that locks the roof at a suitable height between the front of the top and the remaining ledge of the original roof directly below it.
The alternative's to have a hi-top (with roof vent and small windows) fitted but they're more expensive and not as nice to drive.
Thanks for any thoughts!
C

EDIT - Another alternative is to fit bars or some other security to the rear windows - I've searched online for this but struggle to find anything that looks convincing. Again, any ideas?!

Attachments

• pop-top.jpg
    pop-top.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 411
We used to have a Mazda Bongo and the pop top on that had a lift up floor with a hatch in it which would lend itself to having louvres put in. Someone out there must be able to make a similar set up for a T5.

Canvas isn't safe from break ins but then again neither are windows. If someone wants to break in they will break in regardless.

I wouldn't worry about it, the dog being in there should hopefully ward off anyone poking around and of course the golden rule of don't leave anything in display worth nicking.

That's a clever idea, Tris - those Bongos seem well designed. I assume it'd be a big thing (the length of the roof?), that connects to the roof when not in use. Will consider that option.

Rorschach - I'm sure you're right, but when deciding which vehicle to go for, seeing canvas sides as a way in would put the van top of any thief's list? I guess I'm thinking how to make it as unattractive as reasonably possible to a break in. As for the dog - he's quite big and makes loads of noise when anyone comes to the house but no idea how he'd be inside the van, he's a weird fella!

Just getting up to the roof would deter most thieves. Climbing through a small gap with a large dog inside would stop the rest.
Unless of course you have a couple grands worth of diamonds strewn across the table top.
And of course camper vans make REALLY bad get away vehicles. :roll: :roll:

flying haggis":2zysjoes said:
make sure the dog is hungry if you leave him alone in the van............................
yeah, he might have dinner ready by the time you come back :lol:

Would you be worried by this?
10304504_884963194870476_6717149086965500387_n.jpg

Definitely a weirdo, but he'll eat anything so has his uses.

There's been loads of break-ins to vehicles of people going into the sea over the years in the car parks around here, it's like they're watching for us specifically - they see you head into the water and know you won't be back for a couple of hours. Any weak link is a potential opening, I suppose. Still, Autumn's on the way and we won't be worrying about the van getting too hot for a while once September's gone. One much cheaper option might be just to get a roof vent fitted to the van as it is and continue stooping!

Attachments

• 10304504_884963194870476_6717149086965500387_n.jpg
    10304504_884963194870476_6717149086965500387_n.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 294
sunnybob":hrsrqjtb said:
And of course camper vans make REALLY bad get away vehicles. :roll: :roll:

Well my uncle "Grab & Go Garno" (He was the black sheep of the family) would beg to differ.

You can ask him by writing to him,

Prisoner # 26986
Grab & Go Garno
HMP Walton
Liverpool

If he was caught doesn’t that support that they aren’t good get away vehicles?

If grab a good Garno was good at getting away surely he’d be living it up in the Bahamas after a lucrative career :D

--Tom--":te2jooa4 said:
If he was caught doesn’t that support that they aren’t good get away vehicles?

If grab a good Garno was good at getting away surely he’d be living it up in the Bahamas after a lucrative career :D

There are many different factors that got Uncle Grab & Go Garno caught, he swears blind that the mode of transport used as a getaway vehicle was not one of them....

Back