Cam washers for doors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex robinson

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am not quite sure where to post this. I am trying to restore some old door handles and want to replace the springs in them. They don't have the usual cam washer held on with circlips though, but a 1 way push fit washer.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to but replacement washers like this, or good tricks for removing them? Because the brass is much softer the teeth really dig in when you try and prise them off, meaning it is almost impossible without damage.

Thanks,

Alex

Attachments

• IMG_20220512_130807_4.jpg
    IMG_20220512_130807_4.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220511_230228_377.jpg
    IMG_20220511_230228_377.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220512_131711_4.jpg
    IMG_20220512_131711_4.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 0
As far as I recall they are called star lock washers and are widely available in multiple sizes . Toolstation/ screwfix etc

Attachments

• 8241522B-1076-4FE4-9491-E8DC9566B9D4.png
    8241522B-1076-4FE4-9491-E8DC9566B9D4.png
    313.9 KB · Views: 0
As far as I recall they are called star lock washers and are widely available in multiple sizes . Toolstation/ screwfix etc
Thanks. I was wondering if another had seem cam washers with the stops to prevent the door handle from turning too far like this. Either with star teeth on the cam washer itself, or one with a square inside that I could put a star washer on top. Most of the door handle washers have 2 prongs going inwards to lock onto the handle.

I always lever those off, without being unduly careful, then knock them roughly flat (usually using the side of a hammer as and anvil) before reusing.

I always lever those off, without being unduly carefcareful il, then knock them roughly flat (usually using the side of a hammer as and anvil) before reusing.
Embarrassingly that is the bit I am having trouble with! Thought this would be a good gentle project to do while recovering from COVID, but perhaps I am more incompetent than I thought.

Because the brass is so much softer, whenever I try and lever, the teeth just dig in even more.

Instead of trying to pull it off from the edges, persuade the individual teeth up with a small screwdriver or awl. If you 'walk' it up the brass in several steps you'll struggle less. You can usually bend them quite badly and just knock 'em flat without any problems.

Instead of trying to pull it off from the edges, persuade the individual teeth up with a small screwdriver or awl. If you 'walk' it up the brass in several steps you'll struggle less. You can usually bend them quite badly and just knock 'em flat without any problems.
Agreed or put handle in vice and use 2 screwdrivers at the same time - keep your face out of the way in case it suddenly spring’s upward.

Back