Calling Xcalibur/Harvey TS owners - expressions of interest

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
I had a message from a friend a couple of days ago. We both have the same Xcalibur 10" Cabinet Tablesaw. The arbor is removable with a hex hole broached into the end. The steel is not as hard as we would like and the hole is beginning to get rather rounded, and it is only a matter of time before we both insert our Allen keys to no avail.

I've been trying to source spares. There is one on a US site, available for $126 :tongue9: , but nothing in the UK.

So I went to China.

I'm currently in discussions with a guy who makes the Harvey. The present model is a left tilt, which means that the arbors won't fit on mine, the thread needs to be LH. But he has said that he will have a word with his engineers. Now my guess is that the whole piece is CNC machined, so to change from a RH thread to a LH thread is a trivial matter.

I was wondering if anyone else is in situation and would be interested in a replacement arbor. If so, I could order a few.

At this stage I have absolutely no idea whatsoever what the cost would be, but it would be helpful to know if anyone else is interested in principle. No commitment at this stage.

Then I can go back and say I'd like half a dozen, or whatever it is, and get a price before confirming the order.

So if you are interested, I need to know what bore size you want. I have 30mm and 5/8".

No promises, it may well not happen, but it's worth investigating.

Yes please Steve 1 x 30mm (but you already knew that lol)

Phil Edwards of Philly plane fame has the same saw as us
And Waka has the 12" Xcalibur from the same vintage

Cheers

Bob

Do you have their contact details, Bob? I've not heard from either of them for years.
I've posted the same thing on the a different place forum, there may be one or two there, too.

Any chance you guys have a picture of the saw and or a picture of the arbor? I have a saw that I bought in the mid eighties that has removable arbors so I’m curious if they are the same.

Pete

image.jpeg
Here is my long one for use with dado set

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 246
And my 30mm one. As you can see it is getting very rounded.

P1050807.JPG

P1050808.JPG

S

Attachments

• P1050807.JPG
    P1050807.JPG
    211.4 KB · Views: 217
  • P1050808.JPG
    P1050808.JPG
    205.5 KB · Views: 217
May be a silly suggestion as I’ve never used the name of saw, but why not just drill it out, tap it and pop a hex headed or better still a torx machine screw into the threaded hole (LHT) with a bit of thread lock. Replaceable item should it ever round over in the future?

Thanks for the picture. It looks very much like the ones that fit my saw. I have a 5/8" short for a single blade, 5/8 long for dado and a 1" short. I could possibly be interested in a 1" long depending on what the cost might end up to me and a confirmation on the size of thread and taper cone. My saw is a 10" and the only reason I stopped using it and set it aside was because I got a SawStop. My girlfriend, now wife, wanted to make things in the shop and I wanted the added protection. Ladies don't get a discount at the nail salon for missing fingers. ;)

A better repair would be to find a machine shop that does rotary broaching and have them recut a slightly bigger hexagonal socket. Unless the metal is hardened it isn't a difficult job with the right tools. Option B is to have a machinist mill a square hole to fit you favourite socket wrench drive. Perfect job for a 3/8"ratchet wrench in your 30mm one.

Pete

It's not a silly suggestion at all. Thank you for the idea.

I have actually found a local place that does broaching, I'm going to visit them tomorrow. And another place that does spark erosion. He's quoted me a minimum of one hour at 45+, but I might be able to get two done in an hour, so it might not be as bad as it sounds.

Steve Maskery":15x84ajx said:
I was wondering if anyone else is in situation and would be interested in a replacement arbor. If so, I could order a few.

Right there is what makes this forum worthwhile.

=D>

I am sure that you will be able to find someone local who can fix that problem without you having to go to the trouble of importing a new item from China.
My concern would be how soft the item in question seems to be.

I got a reply from China. No can do.

SoI Googled for local broachers and one came up just a few miles away. So today I went to see them. Much shaking of the head.

But he was very helpful. He told me where to go, and 20 mins later I was back with an M16 grub screw. He drilled out the arbor, popped the grub screw in and welded it in place. I asked if he could clean it up, but he was reluctant, pointing out that it would be removing the weld.

£1 for the grub screw, £20 for the job. I'm happy, it will see me out.

IMG_20190606_151550683.jpg

IMG_20190606_151713740.jpg

So Bob, I suggest you consider going down this route, it looks good to me and I bet you could do this yourself.

Attachments

• IMG_20190606_151550683.jpg
    IMG_20190606_151550683.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_20190606_151713740.jpg
    IMG_20190606_151713740.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 173
I had a message from a friend a couple of days ago. We both have the same Xcalibur 10" Cabinet Tablesaw. The arbor is removable with a hex hole broached into the end. The steel is not as hard as we would like and the hole is beginning to get rather rounded, and it is only a matter of time before we both insert our Allen keys to no avail.

I've been trying to source spares. There is one on a US site, available for $126 :tongue9: , but nothing in the UK.

So I went to China.

I'm currently in discussions with a guy who makes the Harvey. The present model is a left tilt, which means that the arbors won't fit on mine, the thread needs to be LH. But he has said that he will have a word with his engineers. Now my guess is that the whole piece is CNC machined, so to change from a RH thread to a LH thread is a trivial matter.

At this stage I have absolutely no idea whatsoever what the cost would be, but it would be helpful to know if anyone else is interested in principle. No commitment at this stage.

Then I can go back and say I'd like half a dozen, or whatever it is, and get a price before confirming the order.

So if you are interested, I need to know what bore size you want. I have 30mm and 5/8".

No promises, it may well not happen, but it's worth investigating.
I've just bought an Xcalibur TSC-B with a 5/8" and was thinking about getting a screw on sleeve made to make it 30mm. I haven't explored the machine yet and didn't know it could be removed. How did you get on? Any idea where you can get spares form? Mine doesn't have a riving knife or crown guard,

Back