Calling the power of UKWorkshop - where to buy a DMT stone?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gidon

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I'm having trouble finding a mail order place to buy either a extra course or extra course / coarse combo DMT diamond bench stone? Can anyone help?

I've decided (well almost) to buy one to flatten my waterstones and for grinding (a la Popular Woodworking). I currently use 180 wet and and dry at the moment but find it a bit messy.

I notice Tilgear have an Eze-lap coarse stone (cf DMT extra coarse) - for £50 - but it's not quite as coarse as the DMT one. But it is a continuous stone - not perforated like the DMT.

Any other recommendations welcomed.

Many thanks

Gidon

Philly":28axoyyu said:
By the way, I have subscribed to Pop Wood further to your (and Alf's) references. Haven't had a copy turn up yet. (Subscribed on the 1st of June) How often do they turn up?
Intermittantly. :roll: It's every other month, and as long as 6 weeks after pulication in the US. If you look on the site, log in under subscriber services and take the report missing issue option, you'll get a list to tell you whether you should have received the issue yet or not.

For DMT stones, I found D&M Tools to be pretty competitive. I don't have a Machine Mart near me, and their delivery charges are outrageous.

Cheers, Alf

Philly

I also bought one of the DUO SHARP which are shon on your link - I love it and use it more than the waterstones at present. Surprisingly it only cost me £55 whereas it is posted at £112 (gloat?)

Alf, I too get Pop woodworking sporadically and late. I complained and they sent me 3 back issues that I had already bought :cry:

Speedy responses - thanks chaps and lady.

Thanks Tony - Machine Mart seem to stock a few - but not the one I was after. They don't have the extra coarse stones - and not the larger 8" two sided ones either. Do you have a 6" coarse stone then? Do you find it ok for flattening larger waterstones? How about for grinding primary bevels - very slow??

Philly - thanks - never would have thought off looking at Trend for DMT stones. They seem to have the full range - but pricey! Pop Woodworking don't seem to have their international subs sorted - I phoned them last month to ask why I hadn't received my issue. They were puzzled and restarted my sub. Two days later the correct copy arrived. 1 week later a 3 months old copy arrived? And I haven't got the issue on the pop wood site yet. As Alf said you can check - or give them a ring. But my guess is it's on its way. Wish it would hurry up 'cos I'm read FWW and GWW twice thorugh already!

Alf - thanks. dm-tools have the best stock I've seen of the range - and have the one I'm after (W8CXNB) at just under £100 which is a good price. Still seems a heck of a lot to spend! Will have to count the pennies ...

Cheers

Gidon

Hi Gidon

Mine is a 6" medium and it flattens my waterstones (1000/250 and 1000/6000) nice and quickly. I simply move the waterstone over it diagonally.

I find the diamond stones useful for flattening the backs of chisels and get a surface that is more evenly flat than with the waterstones as the diamond strones remain flat throughout the process - waterstones start to wear immediatley we use them.

Having said that, I use the Trend double sided diamond stone the most when working on tools but never to flatten my waterstones, the Machinemart does that.

For bevels I use the Machinemart followed by the Trend (fine side) and then cut the secondary bevel on the 1000 grit waterstone followed by the 6000.
My diamond stones cut much quicker than my waterstones and the fine Trend gives a very good finish too - I only use 6000 grit after this

Gidon.. to be honest I can't claim to fully understand what it is you're looking for, but I found these a couple of weeks ago. I can't vouch for them personally, but I found the link on Steve Knight's site and figured if they're good enough for him......

http://www.shaptonstones.com/

Tony - thanks again. I've gone for an 8" extra coarse / fine stonein the end. One of my japanese stones is pretty big so wanted something a little bigger. And I wanted the extra coarse because I'm impatient :). The fine on the other side should be handy for general household sharpening.

Midnight - thanks. I have seen shapton stones discussed - again in the articleI refer to above. But don't know much more about them.

Cheers

Gidon

Just a bit too slow here, but I got mine from woodcraft in the US, $114 for 10"x4" duosharp. Still saved quite a bit on the UK prices after shipping and customs took their bite. Actually that's not accurate. I spent more than I would have done in the UK cos I got suckered into the full extra coarse/coarse/fine/extra fine thing.

Jake

Thanks Jake - did think that I should have looked at cost of importing! So you bought the whole range then? How do you find them?
Cheers
Gidon

Hi Gidon,

Been out of the office for a few days, so missed this posting (among others)
Starkie and Starkie are the importers of DMT stone in the UK so it shouldn't be a problem to get the stone you need from them.
http://www.starkiesharp.com/
The telephone number I have on my index is: 0116 2854772

cheers,

Andy

Hi Andy
Many thanks for that contact - these are the people you always see at shows. I had already ordered from dm-tools - but will definitely keep s&s bookmarked for future purchases. (Although yet to tell my wife I've spent almost £100 on a sharpening stone!!)
Cheers
Gidon

But Gidon, surely diamonds are a girls best friend.......
so where's the argument! :D

Andy

So you bought the whole range then? How do you find them?

Err yeah.

I think they're fantastic, extra coarse gets the back of chisels flat in not too much time (c 5 minutes), and working up to extra fine gives an almost polished finish - reflective but can still see fine swirl marks so I guess an ultra high grit jap stone or carbide paper would be needed for the obsessives.

(ducks).

The 4" width is useful for the No 7/ 5 1/2 blades, or will be when I get a round tuit

(hangs head)

But then I lack comparators, as prior to that it was a couple of old oil stones of dubious flatness and unknown grade. Basically, I couldn't be bothered with all the water bath stuff needed for the jap stones, so these are perfect for my needs. Extra coarse or coarse is perfect too for a good edge on a kitchen knife.

Jake

Sorry Mike :).

Thanks Jake. Well mine arrived already today - extra coarse one side, fine the other side. Had a quick play at lunchtime - like you say flattens the backs of chisels very quickly. And flattens my waterstones (which is what I got it for really) in seconds. Haven't tried anything else yet - but from your experiences sounds like it should be a winning combo.

Will report back further if anyone's interested when I get more time to play.

Cheers

Gidon

Back