Calling Coarse Fishermen

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dodge

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok so I have fished on and off since I was a boy but have recently started again quite seriously with my lad and have been amazed how things have changed over the last few years since I last fished.

Anyway whilst at a customers a couple of days ago was talking about fishing and it transpires he used to sell fishing tackle in his hardware shop before he retired last year and promptly disappeared into his garage emerging a few minutes later with a bin bag full of boxes and packets or artificial baits - maggots/sweetcorn/tiger nuts/dog biscuits/bread flake etc and said I could have them.

My question is does anyone use these and are they any good??

theartfulbodger":3cq801jc said:
Carp fishermen use the plastic baits, sweetcorn, tiger nuts, boilies, worms, maize, dog biscuits, brad, maggots etc etc in a variety of colours and flavours.

They retain for a couple of quid per pack. Enterprise Tackle is one of the big names. Someone is making a fortune!

http://www.enterprisetackle.co.uk/imitation.htm

Those are the type that he gave me - basically the whole display that he had in the shop - every sort that are listed - looks like they will keep me going and my lad after i'm in my box!

IMO artificials of the types you have listed are fine only for lakes, where the captive fish have seen all those a thousand times before and already associate them with food. There's no reason other than curiosity for a river fish that's never even seen a real maggot or sweetcorn to take an artificial one, unless it's dipped in a flavouring first, and even then it's doubtful. You can try an artificial on the hook, and throw in a few freebies around it, but what's the point. If it's rivers that your fishing, stick to real baits. The lakes are just full of bivvy boys nowadays anyway, carp fishermen whose main method of catching is "I've got more tackle and bait than you!"

Now that pike season is upon us, you won't do better than to find a nice stretch of river and chuck a couple of dead baits out. Paradise.

Roy.

cough cough cough

River fish will quite readily eat spam/sweetcorn/bread/pellets/metal and plastic spinners/dead and blast frozen sea fish etc etc wonder why that might be? curiosity?

Not all of us fish muddy puddles :wink: and what's wrong with carp fishermen anyway? I sometimes wonder if it's a form of reverse snobbery. Do hand tool users have a disdain for those who use Festool?i

Use the artificials on lakes or rivers, there's no way lake fish would associate a plastic corn with food, unless it's due to the shape and colour, which it must be, so why not use it on a river? :mrgreen:

theartfulbodger":gixzhir6 said:
cough cough cough

River fish will quite readily eat spam/sweetcorn/bread/pellets/metal and plastic spinners/dead and blast frozen sea fish etc etc wonder why that might be? curiosity?

Quite agree. Spam/sweetcorn/bread/pellets are REAL and have natural odours which attract fish. Metal and plastic spinners/dead and blast frozen sea fish immitate a predators natural food.

Isn't that what I said?

Use the artificials on lakes or rivers, there's no way lake fish would associate a plastic corn with food, unless it's due to the shape and colour, which it must be,

Yes. Agree again. They associate it by size and colour.... because being lake fish they've seen millions of sweetcorn so know it by association.

Didn't I say that as well?

so why not use it on a river?

Beacause river fish will be far less likely to associate it with food as they will be far less likely to have seen the real thing. It might as well be a stone. BUT, the real thing WILL have natural odours WHICH THE FISH WILL HOME IN ON.

Roy

OK

Do artificial baits work?
Yes, they can.

Is Pike fishing fun?
Very much so, and it's more active than sitting there freezing waiting for a bit and roving will make you think about watercraft more.

At the end of the day fishing is about confidence and the hope of a bite. If the OP isn't confident in the bait then he'll not enjoy his fishing.

:ho2

REMEMBER!

Fish don't like SHOUTING!!! as it scares them.

So, real bait or artficial, remember NOT to SHOUT too MUCH.

But if you really must, do ALL your SHOUTING at one end of the lake and then fish at the other end :wink:

theartfulbodger":374iqha0 said:
OK

Do artificial baits work?
Yes, they can.

Is Pike fishing fun?
Very much so, and it's more active than sitting there freezing waiting for a bit and roving will make you think about watercraft more.

At the end of the day fishing is about confidence and the hope of a bite. If the OP isn't confident in the bait then he'll not enjoy his fishing. :ho2

Again, entirely agree.

As Dodge states that he is getting back into fishing with his lad, I'm guessing his lad is new to it as well. One of the main reasons people give up on fishing early on, especially the youngsters, is sitting all day and catching nothing but a cold. From that point of view maybe one of the very overstocked carp lakes (of which there are plenty) could be the ideal place. You're almost guaranteed to catch, and when you do it's very likely to be a decent size. The youngsters can't wait to go again.

But, that wasn't the OP's question. So Dodge, wherever you and your lad go I hope you have a great day and catch plenty...... and make sure to post some pics :wink:

And no SHOUTING :lol:

Roy

doorframe":23hcy2tm said:
... and make sure to post some pics :wink:

And no SHOUTING :lol:

Roy

DSCF1855.jpg

James' first double figure Carp - One very happy lad!

Back