Calling all Sharpeners - Panic not!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Might be worth seeing if we could see a variety of metals being sharpened/used -A2, O1,...

Not to open up a completely different topic but it is related to sharpening - any chance of somebody showing off saw sharpening?

I'd definitely be up for attending, if only to spectate at the ensuing punch-up ;)

Seriously though, any gathering at Matthew's place has to be worth the trip. I use a grinder fitted with A Norton 3X wheel and diamond/waterstone for honing which works for me (though not without occasional trials and tribulations), and would be happy to bring my kit and demo it.

Will depend on date though.

I've got a few oil stones that I could bring along, will be good to put a few faces to names as well.
Is any one going to own up to having any blunt tools to bring and be sharpened?

newt":buaax9d6 said:
How will sharpness be determined on the day?
It won't be a competition it'll be a demo of different approaches.
Ultimate sharpness isn't the issue for me, it's more about practical working systems. So sharp enough for actual work in hand will do.
I see I'll have to get my excuses in early!

Jacob has hit the nail on the head - it is not a competition at all - it will be individuals demonstrating their favoured methods of sharpening allowing those attending to make up their own mind as to what method suits them best.

Great thread - fantastic to see so many getting involved. As a newbie to this forum and woodworking on a serious level, this is a subject that really interests me, just ordered some expensive waterstones and would be glad of tips on how to use them to their best advantage.
Would love to be there on the day - the beer and curry sounds inviting - shmbo has never been to Oxford, sounds like a mini break to me|||

Regards L.

Well before you all get too excited we need one or two more people to commit to do some demonstrating - Come one this will only work if some of you are prepared to do your bit too!

mdfhater":3vcccp2z said:
..... just ordered some expensive waterstones and would be glad of tips on how to use them to their best advantage.
Cancel or sell them on. They are just a temporary fashion.
Then buy ONE double sided oil stone, which will last you for life. You could add one more oil stone (finer grit) and a strop, and that'll do you for two lifetimes.

Hi, Dodge

I could bring some of my home made tools, marking gagues, planes, etc.

Pete

Thanks Pete but I am going to try and keep this to sharpening alone with it being such a hot topic - otherwise it will get out of hand :shock: :shock:

jhwbigley":1f38jd1h said:
who's bring the blunt tools?

JH
Well not me I haven't got any. Blunt ones that is.
Good point though. It'd be handy to have some rusty ebay odds n ends.

Jacob":22n24j6h said:
mdfhater":22n24j6h said:
..... just ordered some expensive waterstones and would be glad of tips on how to use them to their best advantage.
Then buy ONE double sided oil stone, which will last you for life. You could add one more oil stone (finer grit) and a strop, and that'll do you for two lifetimes.

This is the kind of comment that makes me not want to come. If the event were to be the sharing of different techniques, tricks and hints then it would be great. I am intrigued by the rounded bevel and how best to improve freehand sharpening.

I dislike throwaway comments such as water stones are only popular because of fashion. People buy them because they sharpen really well and quickly. If its another medium for you to say everyone else is misguided and that you have the one true way of sharpening what's the point of anyone else showing up?

:) For what it's worth - I've used water stones for 30yrs, and I wouldn't dream of using a double sided oilstone. They are slow and dirty. I'd far rather get a drop of water where it shouldn't be than a drop of oil.
I'd like to be there, but it's too far away.

There is alot of organisation going on behind the scenes here chaps, an event like this and the box competition don't just happen so lets not start having the negative comments etc before it even gets off the ground! :evil:

Regarding dull/blunt tools these will be arranged - it a good excuse for some car boot meandering

I know it is a bit early re timing etc but does anyone have an idea if this will be a weekend affair or a school day?

James C":af5tkzxn said:
Jacob":af5tkzxn said:
mdfhater":af5tkzxn said:

This is the kind of comment that makes me not want to come. ......
It's called "banter" James. I don't suppose mdfhater (I like the name!) will take the slightest bit of notice.
People take this whole issue far too seriously IMHO.

everyone else is misguided and that you have the one true way of sharpening what's the point of anyone else showing up?
On the first point, I don't say that. I've no doubt that all the other methods work. Second point - it's entirely up to you, you make your own mind up in the end.

Back