Calling All Powermatic/Jet 3520 Owners

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duncan A

Established Member
Reaction score
In countless (mostly USA) YouTube videos, the 3520 is used for demonstrating methods and techniques, but I don't think I've ever seen it shown with it's "bombguard" being used. In fact, the only videos that I've seen with it even fitted are promotional where the lathe is not actually turned on!

It would be interesting to know how many 3520 owners on the forum use it, and how often?
No particular reason for this question, just idle curiosity.
I've only ever used mine once when I really didn't trust the integrity of a piece of ash. In the event, it just fell to pieces with no drama, so I'd have been OK without the guard.

Duncan

I've borrowed a friend of mines once when I was thinking of buying one and he rarely uses his. Like you, only when he had a piece that was more spalting than wood does he use it.

I tried it and was pleasantly surprised at how well you could still see the piece being turned. It was a bit of a pain but not as bad as I was expecting so for safety reasons it is obviously a good idea.

It does not make the lathe as unusable as you might expect, so it's surprising at how few people use it. Even those who routinely turn largeish items with cracks, holes etc, seem not to use it.

Duncan

silly really, especially as it's built right into the machine and hinged.....I mean how much easier does it have to get before people take safety precautions! For me I have to reach for the powered mask etc. Quite a pain the wotsit really whereas on that fabulous Jet lathe just reach over and Bob's yer uncle.

That lathe can take some fair old lumps too....has about a 20 inch throw from memory so if something close to capacity decides to go airborne that could mean more than stitches!

I have to admit that I didn't even unwrap mine. Funnily enough though, I saw a pic on Facebook today with someone using it for a tool rack.

Grahamshed":29hv8g3p said:
I have to admit that I didn't even unwrap mine. Funnily enough though, I saw a pic on Facebook today with someone using it for a tool rack.

Now that I didn't think of!

I got a similar guard with my 1642 but don't use it either.

If you have your lathe next to a wall or want shelves above the lathe then the guard will foul things unfortunately. I use the bracket for an angle poise over the headstock - it seems more useful somehow ;-)

Jon

chipmunk":1z0hsj7v said:
I use the bracket for an angle poise over the headstock - it seems more useful somehow ;-)
Jon

I agree, the brackets for the guard and copying are useful for all sorts of things other than their original purpose. Personally, I'd rather have had proper indexing instead of extras that are virtually never used - and I suspect most other people would feel the same way. Perhaps on the 3520C if and when it ever materialises?
Duncan

For me, the biggest improvement the 3520C could make is to have a wired remote control box like most other decent lathes have now. Get the on/off and speed dial down near the tailstock end when the need arises.

As another thought you have to wonder how much business Jet are losing out on.
The OP started off by saying how many Youtube tutorials are based around the 3520 but have you noticed how many of them have replaced the Jet toolrests with the Robust ones ??

When I was reviewing the 2 big Jets last year, the real nice to have was on the bigger one.......a built in vacuum chuck. Just imagine not having to faff around reverse mounting things, instead a quick suck and off you go. Cole jaws consigned to the bin :)

Random Orbital Bob":327lx14c said:
When I was reviewing the 2 big Jets last year, the real nice to have was on the bigger one.......a built in vacuum chuck. Just imagine not having to faff around reverse mounting things, instead a quick suck and off you go. Cole jaws consigned to the bin :)

Bob,

Am I right thinking that it is 'only' the fittings that are included - You still need a vacuum pump, don't you?

Still nice, though, (better practise more to get good enough to sell something to save up to buy it :lol: )

Grahamshed":1edext3u said:
For me, the biggest improvement the 3520C could make is to have a wired remote control box like most other decent lathes have now. Get the on/off and speed dial down near the tailstock end when the need arises.

Graham,

Richard Kennedy's review says;

"Another very useful feature of the lathe is the included remote on/off switch. This has a magnetic backing which allows it to be attached anywhere along the lathe bed."

Did yours get lost along the way?

gregmcateer":2er5y2zj said:
Grahamshed":2er5y2zj said:

Graham,

Richard Kennedy's review says;

"Another very useful feature of the lathe is the included remote on/off switch. This has a magnetic backing which allows it to be attached anywhere along the lathe bed."

Did yours get lost along the way?

No, :) But I only use the on/off at the start and finish of a session, the rest of the time I just use the speed dial to stop it and it would be nice to have that on the remote as well. ( well, instead actually )

Back