Calling all entomologist - i hope these aren't wood borers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawdust=manglitter

Established Member
Reaction score
Panicking a little bit now. I grabbed a piece of ash from my wood storage in the workshop which was near enough stored against the wall, to find a few of these little beetle bug looking things crawling over the surface against the wall. I cant see any bug holes, but worried that these are some kind of wood borer?? :cry:

This is the clearest photos i could get with my phone.

9BC0E24C-D871-4685-9473-980B77079EFD.jpeg

E61EA2F4-AC4A-42B3-98A2-3856DBF3582D.jpeg

Attachments

• 9BC0E24C-D871-4685-9473-980B77079EFD.jpeg
    9BC0E24C-D871-4685-9473-980B77079EFD.jpeg
    846.7 KB · Views: 221
  • E61EA2F4-AC4A-42B3-98A2-3856DBF3582D.jpeg
    E61EA2F4-AC4A-42B3-98A2-3856DBF3582D.jpeg
    148.9 KB · Views: 216
Using my completely unscientific but universal approach... burn everything :shock:

Or, wait for an expert to come along. :lol:

Not sure from the pics you've got. Can you get a closer look? Maybe catch and look at it through a magnifying glass?
Here's a pic of a woodworm beetle.
furniture-beetle-woodworm-woodboring-beetle-anobium-spec-woodworm-on-wood-X5EFW5.jpg

Pete

Attachments

• furniture-beetle-woodworm-woodboring-beetle-anobium-spec-woodworm-on-wood-X5EFW5.jpg
    furniture-beetle-woodworm-woodboring-beetle-anobium-spec-woodworm-on-wood-X5EFW5.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 252
Definitely not a whatchamacallit, just a beetlewatcher (not by intention)
The common furniture (anobium Punctatum) beetle, the little mottled ones which fall into your steaming dinner often, can defiantly be that size aswell as being much larger.
Some in that family are much larger and an all brown colour, and do like to hide in rolled up brown rugs, socks and what ave you.
They are smarter than the mottled ones, I used to think they were male/female but often see those of the little mottled type mating.
Ones dithering over my head that size ATM :) but those mothlike critters look nothing like what you've got.
BTW those close up shots of anobium punctatum look nothing like what you see when staring at one even from less than 2 feet away.
All four of the usual suspects dwell in the house we're renting and look nothing like what I've seen.

Saw a different one though the other day though with an orange/red colour, with a longhorn like and sized body.... they're the ones that squeal when they die by the foot squish, not to be confused with the death watch beetle which is the size of a thumb print, and makes the sound of 3 to 5 consecutive rubs with thumbnail on a zipper.
Anyway
It looked similar to another species called powderpost I had seen on the net.
Not native I believe
Turns out the powderpost, at least one variety are around that size!
It may be some bark munching beetle that might not be a pest though.

That's at least one species I would be googling.
Tom

Latest posts

Back