Calibrating the fence on a BOSCH sliding mitre saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi all,

I've just bought my nice shiny new Bosch saw but am having great difficulty in setting the fence so that the machine cuts an accurate right angle. Unfortunately out the box it was not set up correctly.

I've tried using a variety of my squares (which are proving to be not as accurate as I'd thought). To test the accuracy of the cut I simply make a cut then flip the work piece over and run the stationary blade along the edge just cut. If it was a 90 degree cut the blade would be perfectly parallel (which it isn't).

Question is, does anyone no of any quick setup trick for this?

cheers
Martin

Mod Edit title changed to attract Bosch owners

Martin,
Don't know the saw but as far as checking for square goes, there is a better way - even without a square. Cut a straight edged test board in half, flip one piece upside down, butt the cut ends and check the edge with a straightedge - if the cut was square, the edge will be straight.

Chris,

Thanks for that, I'll ive it a go later, the main problem I'm having is that
the fence adjustment is a tad fiddly, you just loosen 3 allen screws and suddenly the fence is totally free.

I've just been thinking about making a jig to help align the fence.

cheers
Martin

Martin,

I had the same problem with my DeWalt. It was only a hair out but getting it spot on was a fiddle. Same idea - three Torx screws. I had to nip up the 2 ends lightly (middle one slack) then ease one end a fraction of a turn and use the other end as a pivot. Some gentle tapping managed to get it in line. Then nip them all up and make a test cut.

It's a pain but I only use my SCMS in the workshop so hopefully it won't get knocked out of alignment any time soon!

Good luck!

Depends which saw Mitch has; Bosch seem to have an awful lot of permutations. :roll: Mine was dead on, so I haven't even looked to see how to adjust the fence, but I can do if it'd help.

Cheers, Alf

Sorry guys I meant to say which model, it's the Bosch GCM10S 254mm Slide Mitre Saw.

I have had a Makita 8" model that didn't do bevel cuts (or slide of course) for 10 years and have never had to touch it!

Thanks for all the input.

Looks like the prize goes to Chris and Scott for solving this...

I loosened off all 3 screws, brought the fence fully forward and tightened off one end. Then nipped up the other end and used Chris' test for square, then used Scott's tapping technique to adjust the fence bit by bit retesting until it was bang on.

Thanks guys!

Cheers
Martin

Back