Calendar reminders

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cutting Crew

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

Does anyone know of a simple and preferably free programme that will give me a reminder of something important I should be doing that day or some day in the future?

The busy season of schools and exhibitions is almost on me and there is nothing worse than looking out the window and seeing a turner all ready for his or her course and you've completely forgotten about it.

Regards....Mike

CC, I do not know why i am posting this reply because it is odds on that you would have already thought about it and discounted it.
What about the Microsoft Works Calender? This is simple, and as it should already on your pc cheap.

Regards

Woody

Microsoft Outlook or outlook Express.

Express comes with Windows and Outlok with Office suite that is on most PCs. I run my entire working life using it and it tells me where I should be, when and doing what.
You can set reminders from several minutes ot several weeks

Easy to use too

Mike

If you are using Microsoft Office then you would have a copy of Outlook that has a great integrated Calender and task system used by most business people, it also syncs well with PDA's etc, as far as i'm aware Express does not include a calender...although after 20 years in the industry i am reverting more and more to the old fashioned pocket diary

Cutting Crew":2xa8t2m3 said:
Hello guys,

Thanks for the help.

Tony, you mention Outlook Express, any tips or advice on how to use it?

Regards....Mike

Afraid to say that I have used outlook for the past 7 years or so but I believe express is fundamenatlly just a cut-down version - I don't have a copy to check against my version of Outlook as I choose not to install what I don't use when installing Windows

In outlook, one selects calender view and simply selects the date. Click NEW on the toolbar and Bob is your uncle (well, he is mine anyway - mum's brother)

You can set any remiders you want. I also link it to my Pocket PC PDA which ensures that I always know what's coming up no matter where I am

If you have a copy of Microsoft Office, then you have Outlook - any version will work fine

I'd also recommend Outlook, but what doesn't appear to have been mentioned is that you will have to configure it to start automatically when you fire up your computer, otherwise the appointments will still not come to your notice (DAMHIKT!). The process is simple:

Go to "Settings" "Taskbar" look for "Add" then point to the programme executable (outlook.exe). Double-click it, then click "Next." When asked which folder, click "Startup." Type a name for the shortcut ("Outlook") and click "Finish."

Now, when you switch on, you should have Outlook fired up and sitting there. Minimising it to the taskbar will leave the reminders active without otherwise intruding. If you switch it off completely, even though it started with Windows, you'll lose future reminders that day if they're set to go off fairly close to the appointment.

If you need any help configuring it, drop me a PM.

Ray.

Hello all,

Many thanks for the help, Outlook seems to be the simplest as it's already there.

Hopefully it will work and clear my desk of all the rubbish I write to try and remind me what's on.

Regards....Mike

one cautionary note re Outlook..

most of the nasties looking for succeptable puters (no AV progs running) are written specifically to target Outlook or use it as a vehicle to attack other parts of Windoze... DAMHIKT

Whats wrong with the Works calender in Microsoft Works? It is easy to set up and will remind you from 15 mins to 1 week before the appointment. You can set it as a repeat appointment and you can also leave notes within the reminder.

I am just curious why someone would not use this program.

Regards

Woody

Woodythepecker":12lh63a9 said:
Whats wrong with the Works calender in Microsoft Works? ........... I am just curious why someone would not use this program.
Woody,

I've got Office, which comes with Outlook. You've got Works, which has its own calendar, which isn't included with Office. I don't use it because I don't have it, there's no other reason. :)

Ray.

Ray, i am pretty new to the world of computing. I only started using one last year when my stepson lent me his as he was going to work in the US.

Hence the confusion with the "Works Calender". I thought all pc's had these Microsoft programs on them and this is why i could not understand why CC did not use it.

I didn't even realise that there was a difference between Outlook and Outlook Express.

Thanks for putting me straight.

Regards

Woody

The rumour mill on slashdot is active - that google will be adding a calendar facility shortly.

Adam

I've also heard that Google has just employed an OS guru - the rumours are that they'll be launching an alternative to Windows/Linux in due course.

Gill

Is it possible to go off-topic in an off-topic thread?

:lol:

Gill

By definition, if you go Off Topic in the Off Topic section you must be On Topic, which, in an Off Topic section, must be Off Topic. And thus, On Topic.

Reagrds, Sir Humphrey Appleby

Back