Calculations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andycase

Established Member
Reaction score
Can someone just confirm my calculations please.
I was looking at hardwood timber boards, for this example, 4.5" x 0.75", 6ft lengths. I came across reclaimed floorboards (pine) and thought they would be good for what i want.

The person is charging anywhere between 42p and £1 per foot.

Now recently i learnt how to price timber by Cubic foot, so to convert these pine boards to price per cubic foot and compare with recent hardwood prices, this is what i have come up with........

4.5 x 0.75 x 72" (1 6ft board) / 1728 = 0.140625. So 1 board is 0.140625 of a cubic foot. 1 cubic foot / 0.140625 = 7.1 boards. Thats 7.1 6ft boards make up a cubic foot. I know that at 42p per foot, a board is going to cost £2.52. So £2.52 x 7.1 = £17.89

Thats £17.89 per cubic foot?
Yes?

If so, doesnt that sound a lot for pine floorboards? I mean, ive had prices of £18 for Ash, £22 for Beech etc

Reclaimed floor boards, joists etc are always expensive to rough sawn timber like Ash and Beech

I have always have avoided them unless I had to to repair something, you always find the odd missed pin or nail as well.

If they are denailed and not full of worm holes and rot then the price is probably about right, as someone has spent time taking the nails out, get a price for machined Ash floor boards as a comparison.

Tom

You are also basing your calculations on the finished size, that floorboard would have had to come out of 5"x1" which is almost 50% more timber.

And if its nice old pine then its going to warrant a premium over new fast grown whitewood flooring.

J

Back